Help with shear pins

/ Help with shear pins #1  

whatever1

Silver Member
I have a BX-24 and am having a very hard time replacing shear pins. I line up the holes and try to tap out the old one with various objects ( a new pin, a drift pin another harder bolt ) but it is almost like they are welded in. This happens first time and everytime since.
Is there a special tool for doing this ?
Anysuggestions would help.

Thanks

/ Help with shear pins #2  
Lots of time when a shear pin shears it's leaves a pretty nasty lip on the bolt at the point of the break. If you haven't already tried it, try tapping it out in the other direction.
I usually get them out with a drift pin punch without too much difficulty.
JohnnyB

/ Help with shear pins #3  
whatever1 said:
... having a very hard time replacing shear pins...

I did replace a lot of shear pins this winter. I use a punch to tap them out when needed. I have found that shearing tends to be much cleaner (and pins easier to remove) when pins have been screwed on very tight.

/ Help with shear pins #4  
whatever1 said:
I have a BX-24 and am having a very hard time replacing shear pins. I line up the holes and try to tap out the old one with various objects ( a new pin, a drift pin another harder bolt ) but it is almost like they are welded in. This happens first time and everytime since.
Is there a special tool for doing this ?
Anysuggestions would help.

Thanks

Whatever1,

I have the same problem, or I did, with my BX 1800, but it wasn't the issue of the sheared pin coming out hard, as much as getting the drive shaft and the auger shaft to line up. With advice from TBN'ers I found that the wings on my BX 2750 had flexed out, which provided for play in the drive shaft (The bearing flanges pulled the bearings sideways and the allen set screws couldn't hold against it,) so finding the sheared bolt in the grease was the first issue, then lining the two holes up side to side was the next. Even when I was confident that I had the holes lined up, it didn't take much to be off kilter and that pin was not going to come out. Once they lined up, the pin was punch out quite easily. Are you certain the holes are lining up? By the time I generally notice that I'm pushing snow with one side and not throwing it, the sheared pin has been smoothed down by the drive shaft rotation that I have not had the problems of the sheared pin leaving burrs to give me problems.....once I get the correct line up on the holes, out it comes.

Just a thought. Dyer, retired

P.S. Does the attached picture look familiar? This was one of those 20 minutes shear pin replacement jobs, as it was 2degrees, the wind was at about 20 mph, and I was too stuborn to shut the garage door because I hadn't backed the tractor far enough in....you get the idea.

Attachments

• ShearPin.JPG
    ShearPin.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 229
   / Help with shear pins
lp333 said:
I did replace a lot of shear pins this winter. I use a punch to tap them out when needed. I have found that shearing tends to be much cleaner (and pins easier to remove) when pins have been screwed on very tight.

Thanks ... I will remember that for next season...