3 PT Lift not working on L2550

/ 3 PT Lift not working on L2550 #1  

CCOUGHRAN1

Silver Member
I have a L2550 that I broke the axle housing on last week. The part that broke is where the top link attached to the case. It tore a chunk out of the housing.

DSC00783.jpg

While the case was broken, the 3pt would still lift and lower.

This past week, I welded the broken piece back to the case with some MG 289 rod. Now the 3pt will not lift. The arms are sitting ~ 12" off the ground, and will not lower either. Even with me standing on them. I can lift the arms by hand, and they lift freely, but no hydraulic input.

The FEL is working fine, and the power steering had a little whine to it. I topped of the fluid and and worked the steering back and forth until the whine stopped.

Can anyone give me some input on what I need to do to get the 3pt to lift again? Is there any bleeding involved?

Thanks in advance!

/ 3 PT Lift not working on L2550 #2  
Ouch, nasty brake...
What were you doing that caused this damage? I have seen other broken top link attachment points just like this, there is a heavy duty kit you can get from Kubota to beef this point up to reduce the chance of this type failure.
When you welded this did you have the top cover removed? Is there a chance you have the control rod cancel adjust rod maladjusted? There is nothing to bleed on the 3pt.
I see this is your first post, welcome to this forum, wish it were under better circumstances that you were here. KennyV.

/ 3 PT Lift not working on L2550
Kenny,

Thanks for the reply.

First time posting, long time lurker.

I was crossing a small ditch with a load of dirt in the FEL bucket. As I was climbing the other side of the ditch, the tires started to spin. I pushed in the clutch, and as I rolled backward the boxblade rammed in to the ditch bank. Put too much stress on the toplink and did the damage that you see.

I did not remove the top cover when welding. I just put a bevel on the area to be welded, and put it back together. While the cover was off the 3pt would lift.
Now that the cover is back on the 3pt will lift by hand, but not with hydraulic pressure.

I really am at a loss on this one. :(

/ 3 PT Lift not working on L2550 #4  
With the loader working fine, you must have hydraulic pressure the only thing that is left should be the control linkage for the 3pt. Check both the hand set linkage and the cancel linkage attached to the lift arm one or the other must be disconnected or mot adjusted . KennyV.

Kenny,

The only thing that I disconnected during repair is the fitting that can be seen in the picture. I assume it is just a return line for fluid to the case, but I am not certain.

One thing that I have been wondering about is this. When we were repairing the unit, we used a bungee cord to hold the lift arms out of the way, is there any chance that the lift cylinder came loose when the arms were lifted, or is that not possible?

I can lift the arms up by hand, but I cannot push them down below a point of about 12" above the ground. Prior to this issue, they would bleed down to the ground overnight if not supported.

Do these issues give any more insight to what might be wrong?

/ 3 PT Lift not working on L2550 #6  
Got an after pic?

Does the pump/engine strain when you try and lift the arms? Looking at a pic of my L2500 it looks like the break was in two pieces?? Top cover and case?

I think you will need to pull the top cover and have a look.

Good Luck,
Rob

Rob,

The break was in two pieces. When I welded them back on, I welded the seam between the two:mad: I will have to grind that weld off to get the top case removed.

There is absolutely no strain when moving the 3pt lift handle I can lift it all the way up and hear no strain, no change in sound whatsoever.

I will get some after pics posted. The camera is at the house right now.

/ 3 PT Lift not working on L2550 #8  
Yes I think you may have pulled the piston out of the cylinder, if you lifted the arms too far. With that broken part gone there would be no stop to prevent the over travel and it could be out.
When you get it back together you might check with your Kubota dealer for the HD kit. It should be available for any of the L tractors. Here is a picture someone else had posted in the past. KennyV.

Attachments

• PA020003.JPG
    PA020003.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 689
  • PA020017.JPG
    PA020017.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 324
   / 3 PT Lift not working on L2550 #9  
OOPS I didn稚 get the one after he had it attached
This is it. Your痴 will be similar. KennyV.

Attachments

• PA150005.JPG
    PA150005.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 296
I went a different route on the new top link attachment. I attached some 3x3x1/4 square tube to the ROPS at the same height that the original top link should attach. I will have to get a shorter top link to make it work ,but I was not aware of the heavy duty bracket, and I did not trust the cast anymore.

I will try to have some pictures posted of the new setup.

If the little rod that does attached between the lift cylinder and then lift arm dropped out when I over extended. Do you think the actual piston came out of the cylinder? I am looking at the Kubota workshop manual and it looks like there is a bracket that should keep the piston from coming all the way out. Does any of this sound familiar? I am thinking the little rod with the ball may have come out of it socket in the piston, but would the piston still come all the way out?