L245DT Questions

/ L245DT Questions #1  

svon89

I am new to the site, so I hope you will bear with my questions.

I just picked up a Kubota L245DT with a front end loader. It has its issues, but I am trying to work through them one at a time.

I have a service manual, but it is really difficult to use for diagnosing problems.

First problem is the rear three point lift does not work, neither does the power steering, so I assume it is related to the hydraulics(the loader has its own hydraulic pump, reservoir, and controls) but where do I start looking?

The second is the pto does not work. The shift lever seems to shift firmly, but there is no power to the pto shaft. There is some spin when the tractor is running, but I am assuming it is from fluid moving around it because I can stop it with fingertip pressure.

Other than those issues and being cosmetically challenged it is a really nice little tractor. I look foreward to fixing everything and really getting to use the tractor.

Thanks
Stephen

/ L245DT Questions #2  
The first thing I would do to check the hyd. system would be check the fluid level and the hydraulic filter. I beleive that is a washable screen on that model. If no issues are found there I would check the pump pressure.

The pto on that tractor is gear driven so problem would not be connected to hyd. problem. Does the transmission pull like it should, anything that would indicate a clutch problem ?

/ L245DT Questions
Thanks for the info. I did find the screen(I think, a small cap with two bolts right near the diff lock lever) but am not sure where I can check the fluid level? Also if I pull the screen won't the fluid pour out there? I know it sounds stupid to someone who knows these tractors, but I am new to them. The service manual does not even cover the screen at all. The owners manual I have only covers when changing the fluids.

The tractor has no problem pulling or pushing with the loader, so I think I can rule out a clutch issue. The service manual really does not give a good exploded diagram. I am used to diagrams that show how the power flows through a series of gears or the like.

Thanks and if I figure out more I will post it.

/ L245DT Questions #4  
svon89 said:
Thanks for the info. I did find the screen(I think, a small cap with two bolts right near the diff lock lever) but am not sure where I can check the fluid level? Also if I pull the screen won't the fluid pour out there? I know it sounds stupid to someone who knows these tractors, but I am new to them. The service manual does not even cover the screen at all. The owners manual I have only covers when changing the fluids.
I just bought the same tractor less than a month ago. As far as the screen is concerned - yes, it is located on the left hand side of the trans case, just to the rear of the 4WD lever (not diff pedal, which is on the right side). There is an o-ring and a spring inside of that cap. If you pull it, you will lose fluid. I just pulled mine when draining and refilling my fluid the other day - plenty of metal filings and grit in the screen. You can clean it, or you can order a new one for 10 or 12 dollars (which is what I did to save myself needing to clean the old one right away). If you get a new one, you may be able to swap it out with the old one without losing a ton of fluid. I would also recommend getting a new O-ring to replace the one inside the cap just in case you need it.

The level plug to determine the correct amount of fluid is also located on the left hand side of the trans case, but further forward, near the clutch pedal. It is labeled on pg. 26 of the Owner's Manual.

Owner's manual says it takes 6 gallons (24.3 qts) of fluid, but after I drained mine, I only got just over 5 gallons back in before I hit the level plug. May not have all drained out b/c of parking angle or something. Once you diagnose and fix your 3-pt problem, you should replace the SAE 80 gear oil in that trans with Kubota UDT and it should improve hydraulic performance, if it's not already been done.

This is my first tractor, and I am slowly learning more about it and how to service it. Please share any insights you have, and I'll try to do the same.

You might want to look at my recent post in the parts/repairs forum where I am trying to figure out the correct level of front axle oil for my L245DT. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/118850-dont-always-trust-your-shop.html#post1369259

Let me know if you have any insight on that from your machine.

Good luck
Matt

/ L245DT Questions
Matt,
Thanks for the reply. I found the level plug and the fluid is low, so until I get a new screen filter and o-ring, I am going to leave it in the garage. I should get the chance tom to drain and replace all of the fluids and filters. Hopefully I find the filter is plugged up making for an easy fix. I sure could use the powersteering with a load in the bucket.

I have the kubota workshop manual and it is really in depth on parts, and not so much on others. I will have to look into getting the I&T manual.

Thanks
Stephen

/ L245DT Questions #6  
Stephen -

I got my I&T Manual on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Kubota: Shop Manual K-201 : Models L175 L210 L225 L225Dt L260 (I & T Shop Service Manuals) (I & T Shop Service Manuals): Books

Beware that it covers all the L-series from L175 to L355 plus the B5100-B7100, so there will be only a limited amount of info on each model. Definitely more concise and easier to find things in than the Kubota shop manual. There are about 6-7 pages on the hydraulic system with good labled exploded diagrams.

Good luck
Matt