more broken backhoe teeth

/ more broken backhoe teeth #1  

denmansoft

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
Twice now I have broken an outside tooth on my backhoe.
After welding it up and bolting back on I broke it again.

Here was my fix. Not what I would recommend though.

This shows the original holes in the bucket. Note how the outside ones are through the bevel edge of the bucket blade. This is what causes the teeth to break!

Here shows the new holes set back from the edge. It sure would be nice if kubota put them here. There is enough room to slide the teeth back 1/2" !!!

Last edited:
   / more broken backhoe teeth
Now
How I would do it another time.

After welding up the holes, we tried to drill the new ones in the 'proper' location.
After a few dulled bits we realized that this was not going to work so nice.

I took the bucket and a tooth to Ramsay Machine works RAMSAY GROUP: PRODUCTION FACILITIES
for help.

Having seen some of the things these guys build I figured my little bucket would be a snap.

One thing Kubota does do is use hard steel on those bucket edges. The shop foreman was quite surprised at what it took his people to drill 6 holes. Having already tried and failed myself I was pleased that they succeeded.

Another time:
put a non-ferrous bolt in the front holes and weld up a boss on the bevel edge. remove the bolt. grind flat there is no sharp edge through the bolt hole.

This effectively moves the edge onto an area of the tooth with more meat to it.

I've got another 10 hours on the hoe since with no problems, but I haven't been doing those nasty root balls. Just rocks that are heavy enough to lift the FEL bucket off the ground and the backhoe with the rock stays down.
More weight in the FEL.

/ more broken backhoe teeth #3  
Hindsight is always 20/20.... Good job:)