Tipped over Kubota BX24

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #11  
slan said:
Glad to see you were not hurt in the flip. As the hours rack up on a piece of equipment you get a false sense of security in what it and you can do safe. Sometimes either because its late, your in a hurry, or just plain stupidity it will quickly bite you.
I have over 2,000 hours on my TLB and an early morning slip (coffee didn't kick in) coupled with a tad bit of attitude taught me a lesson last fall I will not forget soon.
I went from having one wheel over the edge to the resulting pictures because I thought I was good enough to get out.
NOT!

Love to see the recovery photos of that one....

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #12  
Sorry 96superjet, didn't mean to but into your post. Just pointing out that being carefull on any piece of equipment can be the difference between sipping a cold one and being planted.

As for the aftermath for me it involved a 200ex excavator to dig a hole beside her and tipping it back on its wheels and the taking my old d6 and pulling it onto the bank.

Excavator $400, Front and back window, $600, changing all the fluids (all 35 gallons) $500, being alive to laugh and learn, priceless!

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #13  
Glad you are o.k. That's the main thing. In addition to all the other good advice, look for greasy spots along all exposed hydro lines and hoses.

Good luck.

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #14  
john_bud said:
Super,
aside from structural ...
The worry with the engine is that oil will fill the cylinder (s) and when you crank it can hydrolock. That will break expensive stuff.

Thankfully, the oil will drain back. An hour is plenty, over night is 99% sure to be good. The only way to be 100% sure, is to pull the glow plugs out and crank that way. If a gyser shoots out, you saved yourself $3-6000. If nothing shoots out but air, you cost your self a few minutes of time.

Minimum thing I would do is let it sit, then turn it over by hand several turns before cranking. Then crank it a few seconds with the fuel shut off. Then start it.

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #15  
Boy it's hard to stress how careful new tractor owners should be. I remember a few years ago when I got my first decent size tractor (NH 1715 with FEL and BH). The first day I had it up on one front wheel twice carrying probably 2000 lb rocks in the bucket down hill.
Had a few people give me the "Low and Slow" speech and I've been pretty good since. I have some very hilly terrain, and often have to traverse it sideways. I've learned to be very careful, even carry ballast down low in the bucket if need be.
I work here all alone most days in very rural area...I'd be in a world of hurt if something happened.
Now if I could just convince one of my dogs that UNDER the tractor while I'm working is not the best place to be I'd be all set.
JohnnyB

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24
In an effort to keep everyone up to date on the tipped Kubota BX24 incident. She was returned to upright position and sat that way for approximately 12 hours (over night). After initial structural check and inspection of all fluids, I cranked her over and she fired right up. Used her the rest of the day with no mechanical incident.

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #17  
Wow! Congrats.

I had to pull the glowplugs on mine as it was hydrolocked.