Need to replace BX rear body plastic.. help!

/ Need to replace BX rear body plastic.. help! #1  

Jibber

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST 4WD, BX2350
I just did a real bad thing.

I parked the BX on a hill and didn't set the brake.. figured I was just going to be off of it for a moment. I then went around the house to get a rake and while I was there started to rake a little bit. Suddenly I heard a loud crash.. the BX had rolled back into my wife's SUV! I'm more concerned about the tractor than the car!

This is a one year old BX2350. The left rear tail light was just busted off along with a fairly large part of the plastic fender.

I've been checking it out and it appears that the body panel is a one piece rear section that bolts on.

Anyone ever replaced one of these? Is this something I can do myself or am I asking for trouble? It appears that I just need to take all the knobs off the controls and find all the bolts.. remove the seat.. and it should just lift off. The only bugaboos I see so far are getting the deck/height adjustment knob off.. (threaded?).. and disconnecting the 12v/power outlet.

also.. anyone know how much that body panel will cost? I'm sure it won't be cheap.

This is the biggest boner I've pulled in a while.

/ Need to replace BX rear body plastic.. help! #2  
This is a very obvious case of where you should trade the plastic for the longevity of a Ford 8 N!:D :D :D

/ Need to replace BX rear body plastic.. help! #3  
If you find the lens for the tail light instead of the whole assembly let me know. I busted a tail light but supposedly have to pay $40 dollars for the whole assembly.

/ Need to replace BX rear body plastic.. help!
Egon said:
This is a very obvious case of where you should trade the plastic for the longevity of a Ford 8 N!:D :D :D

Love the 8n. What a fantastic tractor. Of course, if I had done this to a classic 8n I'd be a little more peeved than I am now.

I was a little concerned about the plastic bodywork on the 2350. But I have to say.. none of the important stuff was damaged in this "run in".. and if I can just bolt in a new fender assembly and it's like new.. that's great!

charliepff said:
If you find the lens for the tail light instead of the whole assembly let me know. I busted a tail light but supposedly have to pay $40 dollars for the whole assembly.

nope... the "tail light".. as in the fender mounted light.. was wiped out.

/ Need to replace BX rear body plastic.. help! #6  
If you have the pieces you can go to the auto store and pick up a two part plastic repair cement( Permatex 5min plastic weld)about $5.00 and put it right bach together you won't believe this stuff . Ive put snowmobile hoods back together and you wouldn't know they were ever broke Buying new parts fender and handle very$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

/ Need to replace BX rear body plastic.. help! #7  
After a quick look at my BX24 shop manual, it doesn't look too hard (caveat: I've found that for some operations, some details get lost in translation). Looks like ROPS w/related electrical connections, seat w/electrical, lever grips, adjusting knobs, and any electrical...

Well, the dealer says his shop considers it a 2 and a half hour job.. which means it's rather involved.. but I can probably do it. The ROPS does have to come off as does the floorboard panel.. just over 400 bucks drop-shipped from Kubota.. OUCH.

/ Need to replace BX rear body plastic.. help! #9  
Just a thought... You might locate a fender unit that was replaced due to the well known crack at the floor. I had mine replaced fairly recently and saw about 4 in the "junk pile" out back at the dealer. I'm sure these will ultimately end up in the local landfill. With the new support kit that is almost certainly installed on yours, the crack would be barely visible and certainly wouldn't affect function. For $400+ I could live with it even though I tend to be a bit picky.

Harry c said:
You might locate a fender unit that was replaced due to the well known crack at the floor.

Too late.. already ordered.. Good idea tho.. and next time I'm at the dealer I'll check to see if I can acquire a "spare". To be honest.. with the exception of the bucket.. My BX didn't have a scratch until this boner. I'm anxious to get it back in "like new" shape.. I was actually surprised that the price of that rear fender section wasn't MORE than that.

I do have the support kit already installed.. but I am getting a bonus out of this... a new seat.. Figured since I'm going to have it off anyway.. time to upgrade to the new style seat. I still have the original style that makes you feel like you're going to slide off onto the hood every time you go downhill!