Torn BX24 tie rod boot = $47?

/ Torn BX24 tie rod boot = $47? #1  

mpowrd

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I've got about 20 hrs on our new BX24 now and while moving some brush piles last week I managed to slice one of the rubber boots that cover the inner joint on the right tie rod.

Called my dealer's parts guy this morning and they say the only way Kubota sells that boot with as an assembly with the inner pivot joint. P/N is K2561-01630 "Joint axial ball" and cost is $46.72. Can it be true that you can't just replace the rubber boot?

Either replacing the boot alone or the whole joint will require resetting the toe-in, but I found the specs for toe-in, so I'm not worried about doing that.

Has anyone found a way to replace just the rubber boot on a BX24 and where did you get the part?

/ Torn BX24 tie rod boot = $47? #2  
Unfortunately it is true. I just had mine replaced while the backhoe was being mounted. They call them "knuckles". The dealer sold me mine for $40 ea. and didn't charge extra for the labor on that or my cruise control since I was already getting the Woods backhoe.

I have to say though, those boots were torn for several years, and the inner joints did not seem to suffer from the torn boots. I'd recommend just using the tractor for awhile and see how it does. If the joints do fail after a number of years, you'd still pay for exactly the same thing you would by replacing them now.

Good luck.

BTW, you have all the implements that are still on my wish list. Where in CA are you?

/ Torn BX24 tie rod boot = $47? #3  
I let one of mine go for a long time with a tear and finally I noticed that that joint began to have some free play in it, I bit the bullet and bought the new joint and installed it, shortly after, I noticed the other side had a tear in the boot so I bought a new bicycle inner tube that was the right diameter to slip over the big end of the knuckle and clamped it on with a wire tie leaving enough tube sticking out to fold it back over the tie and then put another tie over that, I did that on both ends of the piece of inner tube and it is still holding. If it gets ripped, I still have a lot of inner tube left to make several more to keep the dirt out. Before I closed up the one end of the innertube, I put grease in the joint.

/ Torn BX24 tie rod boot = $47?
I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains on the San Jose side. Probably a little more hilly than where you are if you're in the Central Valley.

I might get the new joint to have it available, but try putting a "bandage" of either bicycle inner tube material or heavy vinyl sheet I have around the torn boot after cleaning and re-greasing and tie-wrapping it in place and see how long it lives.

I'm moving a lot of brush and the bucket grapple has been great. I'm also moving a bunch of 1'-2' diam rocks and building a retaining wall on the slope of a gully and then backfilling behind it. The thumb is great for "harvesting" the rocks that we have all over our property and the grapple makes it eash to move them 2 at a time to the wall location.

/ Torn BX24 tie rod boot = $47? #5  
I've never seen just the boot. Might be some aftermarket dohickey that'll cover it up. Personally I would just grease it twice as often and call it good. It you replace it, it'll probably just get tore up again.

/ Torn BX24 tie rod boot = $47? #6  
Depending how bad the rip is. Try some black RTV silicone.

This group is great for useful advise on little things like this.

I'm going to try greasing up the joint, try some silicon goop glue that I have on the old boot, then put a piece of inner tube over that like milkman did. I'll see how long the joint goes before it develops any play.

I'll post some pics before and after the fix (I promise!).

/ Torn BX24 tie rod boot = $47? #8  
Here's pics of mine, still dirty from some woods cleanup.

Edit: Looks like the new boot has a cut, time to get out some more inner tube.:mad: Wish someone would come up with a way to put a guard on those things so I wouldn't have to think one up myself.:eek:

Attachments

• NuDirtyBoot.JPG
    NuDirtyBoot.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 2,375
  • TubeBoot.JPG
    TubeBoot.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,291
   / Torn BX24 tie rod boot = $47? #9  
I have an L3830. The boots cost $10 from the dealer. When you take the tie rod off, count the number of screw turns you took when you separate the rod to replace the boot. When you assemble it back, use the same number of turns to screw it back together, then tighten the locknut. Your toe-in will stay the same. By the way...your boot looks like mine. I think they DO have replacement boots for your tractor. The boots are made to be replaced. Make sure you clean up the knuckle good and regrease, before putting on a new boot. And...by the way, better buy a couple boots since you will only tear another one up in the near future.

After tearing up a couple boots...this is what I did. I got pretty good at taking it all apart and putting it back together, again. I cannot understand why they make these tractors so delicate! They should have better protection...

My Fix...
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/111337-home-made-tie-rod-boot.html

milkman: How did you get the inner tube over the tie rod?
Did you unthread the tie rod adjustment from the outer end or can you just unbolt the outer ball joint from the hub and slip the inner tube over from the end by the ball joint?

Is the threaded end of the outer ball joint a straight thread or is it a taper fit (like a car) that requires a ball joint puller to get it out of the hub steering arm?