Hard To Grasp

/ Hard To Grasp #1  

gltrap54

Silver Member
Tractor
B3200 Kubota
Just purchased a low hour B7500. The previous owner had totally neglected the scheduled maintenance. Engine oil looked like black tar (25 hours overdue on change), none of the other filters had been serviced or changed. :eek:

Guess it's not that uncommon to find neglected tractors, according to my dealer, but why would anyone invest that much money and not do the basic upkeep?

/ Hard To Grasp #2  
Maybe becuase they planned on selling it rather than maintaning it. :D I swear that is my brothers aproach to cars!

Did you get it cheap?

/ Hard To Grasp #3  
My brother in law is the same way. Laziness and stupidity is unfortunately a very common trait.

/ Hard To Grasp #4  
I'd rather spend a few bucks on maintenance than a whole lot of bucks to replace something.

/ Hard To Grasp #5  
25 hours overdue is no big deal, and I wouldn't be the least concerned. Big whoop. And diesel oil is always black with a mechanical fuel pump, no two ways about it. If it was as thick as tar, the engine would have siezed, because you can't pump tar. It might have seemed thick, but that means that the oil was cold and you didn't warm it up first.

/ Hard To Grasp
Adam23 said:
Maybe becuase they planned on selling it rather than maintaning it. :D I swear that is my brothers aproach to cars!

Did you get it cheap?

Paid $9K for the tractor with a Woods 1006 FEL, so it wasn't all that great of a deal. It's a 2001 with 225 hours, so it's barely broken in, in spite of the neglect............

/ Hard To Grasp
kmdigital said:
25 hours overdue is no big deal, and I wouldn't be the least concerned. Big whoop. And diesel oil is always black with a mechanical fuel pump, no two ways about it.

This is my first experience with a diesel. I had no idea that a mechanical fuel pump made the oil look that black.............

/ Hard To Grasp #8  
Happens all the time. We had a Kubota just a few weeks ago with 1800 hrs. The fluids had never been changed.

/ Hard To Grasp #9  
gltrap54 said:
This is my first experience with a diesel. I had no idea that a mechanical fuel pump made the oil look that black.............

In general, on any diesel with a mechanical fuel pump the oil will be coal black within the first 10 hours or less of changing the oil. A mechanical fuel pump doesn't regulate the fuel precisely enough to prevent this. On the other hand, diesel's with electronic fuel injection control can go 5,000 plus miles and the oil can still be relatively clean looking.

The black comes from carbon, and it is the oil's job to keep the carbon in suspension instead of settling out. It's nothing to worry about, and it will always be black shortly after the oil is changed.

/ Hard To Grasp #10  
kmdigital said:
On the other hand, diesel's with electronic fuel injection control can go 5,000 plus miles and the oil can still be relatively clean looking.

The black comes from carbon, and it is the oil's job to keep the carbon in suspension instead of settling out. It's nothing to worry about, and it will always be black shortly after the oil is changed.

Really? No one told my Duramax diesel that as it turns oil black pretty dern quick! :)

But, you are right about the oil is being paid to suspend the carbon and it's generally nothing to worry about.

jb