How to deal with the Mooches?

/ How to deal with the Mooches? #61  
Nope. No trailer. Nope. Busy this weekend. Nope. Where the heck were you when I asked a favor?

Turn your compost for some free horse poop? Sure. You helped me lift my barn door to the overhead track last year. What do you need? How can I help?

Sure! You helped us when the kids got locked out of the house while we were at work. I'll plow the snow. No problem.

It really isn't any tougher than that.

'Course my brother STILL has his stuff up in the garage attic two years later. Nobody help him until he gets his stuff outta here! :rolleyes:

/ How to deal with the Mooches? #62  
If they are close family or they have done favours for me or have the sort of generous character that you know you can call on for help sometime I do it for free. If they are like the guy that has lived down the street from me for 16 years and in all that time I've fed his son and had him over night many times and never once has my son had even a burger at his house. Last week he said he had some work around his house that needed tractor work done on and since I like doing tractor work so much perhaps I could come down and do it. I agreed that I love working on the tractor and that's why I only charge $45 an hour. I added I'm the chepest in town. Never heard from him again and the mess I could have cleaned up in an hour or so will probably be there for years to come.

/ How to deal with the Mooches? #63  
Stick with the insurance gig. It'll end the situation quickly.

In all honesty for me it's the truth. The unit is covered while it's on my property only.

/ How to deal with the Mooches? #64  
Great thread. This is a topic that I've given a lot of thought. A lot of wisdom has already been shared here. I moved into a country "community" where my house is the only one on our mile stretch of road that isnt owned by the family that has lived and farmed there for 60+ years. My property got out of the family 30 years ago in a divorce. I have the luxury of looking out on a 30 acre hay field that I didnt have to purchase or pay the taxes on. I also recently bought a new 24 hp TLB. Luckily the family that lives around me is absolutely wonderful. THe first weekend we moved in, they had a family reunion and they INSISTED we come meet everyone and we were considered part of the family since day one. When my neighbor came down last sunday and asked if he thought that my tractor would fit under his barn, I literally dropped my shovel and said lets go find out. I spent an hour of my time and diesel cleaning a winters worth of manure out under his barn and then dug a hole for a calf he recently lost. After I loaded his his manure spreader he promptly asked where I would like him to dump some for my garden, came down with his PTO tiller and tilled my new garden spot and insisted that I borrow his small self propelled TORO to finish fluffing up the soil. I did borrow his tiller but I returned it in better condition than when I borrowed it. I feel incredibly lucky to live in the community that I do and I also feel the duty to go above and beyond in returning the favor whenever I can. That is why I will be taking days off work this year to use my tractor to tow a hay rake, and will be bushhogging some poplar saplings in front of my neighbors new house, and cut wood for 2 my elderly female neighbors that live next door so they dont have to spend $5.00 gallon to keep warm this winter. I also have a few good friends that I spent huge amounts of time and effort helping, because I had the time. And when I need them they have always been there and Im just starting to cash in those favors. I've found that I give people the benefit of the doubt to help them out at least once and see how they respond. I know this is not typical of many of your circumstances, and I consider myself incredibly luckly to have the relationships that I do. I actually look for oportunities to help my friends and neighbors, I dont wait for them to ask. Im the first one to lend a hand, but like many of you have said-I know how to say no and I have no problem saying it If I feel its not a good situation. My tractor is a tool, and I use it as a tool to help build a better community around me because I value that. The resource most lost when helping others is time. The fuel, maintenance, wear and tear are expsnsive but negligible to me because I look at it as entertainment expense because i enjoy operating my tractor. What is lost is the very few precious hours of the week that I don't have to sit in my office chair, that I can be spending workin on my own projects.
Sorry for the ramble on. I enjoy the treads about the nuts and bolts of the tractors as I do they other aspects of tractor ownership.

/ How to deal with the Mooches? #65  
boxygen said:
I enjoy the treads about the nuts and bolts of the tractors as I do the other aspects of tractor ownership.
Good statement. Let me post my "me too." :)

/ How to deal with the Mooches? #66  
To have good neighbors, you have to be a good neighbor.

ron

/ How to deal with the Mooches?
638 said:
To have good neighbors, you have to be a good neighbor.

ron
I agree totaly. When we built our house, our access road ran about 30 feet from a neighbors house. We built on 30 acres that they felt they had free reign on for the last 12 years. Well the neighbor really started getting crappy with us and I have to admit that I gave it right back. Well last winter his mother was watching his house and we had a terrible snow. She had a rear wheel drive car and there was no way she was going to get out of their driveway. I plowed the driveway and helped her out. Since then, things have been peaceful. "Do Unto Others";)

/ How to deal with the Mooches? #68  
boogerman2000 said:
I agree totaly. When we built our house, our access road ran about 30 feet from a neighbors house. We built on 30 acres that they felt they had free reign on for the last 12 years. Well the neighbor really started getting crappy with us and I have to admit that I gave it right back. Well last winter his mother was watching his house and we had a terrible snow. She had a rear wheel drive car and there was no way she was going to get out of their driveway. I plowed the driveway and helped her out. Since then, things have been peaceful. "Do Unto Others";)

You were real lucky with your land. Had you been in Colorado you may have been screwed by this shyster lawyer couple, or someone similar with no ethics. The incident described in the following article and related articles is why my insurance agent suggested we post a No Trespassing sign on our newly acquired 35-acres.

Lawyers awarded property next door
Lawyers awarded property next door - The Denver Post

/ How to deal with the Mooches? #69  
OMG I just read that!! That is an INSANE decision. Seems like the Judge "scratching" fellow lawyers backs. At the very least, and it would still be unfair, they should have to pay 1/3 of the 800k value of the land if they were to keep it! If the appeal fails, I think I would build a trailer park or go-cart raceway on the rest of MY property. I thought only Canadians had issues like this with "real" property rights.