Oil & Fuel Black Diesel Fuel Filter

/ Black Diesel Fuel Filter #1  

tmc2318

Bronze Member
Tractor
2007 L3540 HST Cab
I have a new 3540 with only about 25hrs and went to use it the other day and noticed that the fuel glass was 'black'. A closer look showed a bit of sediment on the bottom so I drained and cleaned the plastic bowl. On the bottom was a bit ( about a tea-spoon) of fine black sediment and the filter was basically black. Didn't have a new filter so only cleaned bowl and put back together. It appears that my diesel is black or really dark colored. Didn't have time to sample fuel or drain tank as I only use my tractor on weekends.

Has anyone seen this before? how does black crude get in a new tractor tank? should I just replace filter and add new diesel or drain and flush tank??

/ Black Diesel Fuel Filter #2  
Sounds like diesel sludge, or algae in the fuel. We have run into this with our fuel in clean tanks with no fuel treatment in it. Mostly you will get water in it either from the supplier or condensation from a half full tank. Algae is common place in diesel fuel and can only be controlled, not eliminated.It is very common for this to happen. Rotate your fuel and it won't be so noticable in your filters.JM2C.

/ Black Diesel Fuel Filter #3  
I noticed a black area on the fuel filter of my L3400 at around 20 hours. I pulled the filter and part of it was black. Put in a new filter and it has been fine. I'm pretty sure it isn't my fuel since my other two tractors didn't show anything black in the filters. I looked at them all after that.

I wondered if the dealer had put some bad fuel in it. It was full when delivered.

/ Black Diesel Fuel Filter #4  
I wrote Fleetguard regarding the black colored filter in my Cummins 5.7 Turbodiesel. I was told this was normal discoloration of the filter media and based on a my tank a week usage was in no way associated with sludge or algae. It looked pretty bad when I pulled it out.

/ Black Diesel Fuel Filter
On my other tractor the filter is clean as new - this one is really black and I needed a light to see the element.....this weekend I am going to drain the tank and replacement the filter then refill and see what happens.

/ Black Diesel Fuel Filter #6  

I asked my boss about this as he has a 1 ton Dodge something or other. He said the same thing as Jabroni. :confused: