tires-living on the rock

/ tires-living on the rock #1  

rebb

Tractor
BX2350
Hey-i live on limestone cap; there are golf ball to soft ball sized rocks everwhere. there are areas of 'slick rock' some 10-15 sq ft. there are also areas of tree 'duff' maybe 3-6" deep; some of the property is level, and some is maybe 30 degree grade. i have about 100 junipers left to axe down, drag off and chip up or turn into firewood.

i just ordered a new kubota 2350 (furr wheel drive-no sense to get stuck here); i told the dealer i wanted ag tires, as i thought at the time this would give me the best grip. i will be pulling some smaller stumps, logs, as well as rough mowing. the ones he had on the lot have 'industrial tires'; these dint look real 'grippy' to me for what i've got; he has to 'find' a 2350 with ag tires....

what do y'all think? should i tell him quit searching for one with ag tires, and just take 'the industrial tires'? these industrial tires have 'tread' but it looks more like grounds maintenance tread to me; although i think they do have thicker ply bodies than ag's.....

thanks for advice/opinions/experience :)

rebb

/ tires-living on the rock #2  
I had the "bar" or R-1 type tires on my old BX, and liked them, but there is more sidewall flex than the newer low profile R-4 tires, and I would prefer them for puncture resistance, and loader work. You don't hae the backhoe, but I also noted that the sidewall flex gave the feeling of instability on slopes with that added weight, and height. I may buy another BX, and I am considering the r-4's myself.

/ tires-living on the rock
Thanks, Chuck! i could live with the sidewall flex. the traction is what concerns me, as well as the possibility of sharp rock damage.....flats, iow. green slime won't seal a big tear...:)

i have so many 'ankle busters', i can't drag brush by hand with vibram soled hiking boots without slipping around.

rebb

/ tires-living on the rock #4  
i think the main advantage of ag tires over r4 is they are more self cleaning in the mud. i don't think you will notice much difference with little top soil and lots of rocks.

actually, things like this can be counter-intuitive. many people report TURF tires do better in snow and ice because more rubber is in contact with the ground at the contact point and the tread is smaller giving lots of tiny grip points. you might have a similar situation with lots of smooth rock.

kinda like racing slicks doing well on dry tracks where hydroplaning is not an issue.

we have clay. nothing is much good when it gets sloppy.

/ tires-living on the rock #5  
Here is another way you can enjoy both R1 & R4 at the dealer under whole goods you can buy a set of ag's for $280 they are tires and rims I priced them out abuot 2 weeks ago tha my dealer

/ tires-living on the rock #6  
I got the industrial tread on my L2800 per my dealers advise and I am sure glad I did since the sharp rocks try to cut away at the tread, Mine are loaded with calcium chloride and work real well in Montana Rocky mountain soil. Soft soil and mud the Ag tires might work better but any road driving they give a rougher ride.

Leon,

y'all got granite up there, dontcha? i dunno if the stronger casing of the industrial tread would be a lot of advantage for me; i'm puzzling this out...most of my limestone that comes to the surface is 'round' or the edges are worn off by weather pretty shortly....it may be settled for me, as, at last info, the dealer couldn't find a 2350 with ag tires yet. :)

rebb

/ tires-living on the rock #8  
On my BX23 I have the ag tires. My issue with them is they are very thin. I have had a few sticks go though them and I had to patch one that the slime would not take care of and the inside of it looked like a porcupine with all the Honey Locust thorns in it. I know not much outside of solid tires will deal with these locust thorns but man are the tires thin. They also have a rather bouncy quality about them which I think makes the tractor feel tippy on hills (that may not be a bad thing as it keeps me alert).
I just priced a set of BX24 R4 rims and tires and got 320 out the door.
My 2c
I think you sould get the r4 tires just because the are higher ply and you don't sound like you will be dealing with a lot of mud.

you guys are pretty much convincing me to try the r4's....thanks. the evident fact that i can get the ags and wheels pretty cheaply is a real advantage; i can use the r4's for most work, and the ags when i'm on the hill with the loose duff.....that's the best of all possible worlds in my situation. about $300 bucks out the door...that's cheaper'n a new tractor!!! lol!

thanks, really appreciate the advice all y'all :)
rebb