BX24 BH pivots VERY hard to grease

/ BX24 BH pivots VERY hard to grease #1  

Skyco

Elite Member
I like to grease all the fittings on my BX24 after every few hours, probably doing it more than I need to but no harm in that.
Problem is- the two large pins the BH swings side to side on are very hard to force grease into. The lower one was blocked a few greasings ago, my cordless grease gun would just pressure relieve on it. Finally after a lot of swinging the BH side to side and about busting a gut using a manual gun I got grease to go in. Now the top one is doing it:(
What gives here? All the other fittings take grease fine. It doesn't look real easy to disassemble and inspect those two pivots, due to the weight they hold.
I'm contemplating fitting a zerk nozzle to my porta-power clone and see if I can force hydraulic oil through to clear out whatever is causing the resistance. Thoughts?

/ BX24 BH pivots VERY hard to grease #2  
Interesting I have the same problem on my hoe like to see if there is a fix
I grease mine every 10 hrs!

/ BX24 BH pivots VERY hard to grease #3  
I had/have squeaking when I swing my backhoe to the left. I asked a friend of mine that operates BIG equipment (trachoe, etc.) and he said sometimes dirt gets in there and to keep pushing grease into it before each use. Eventually it will work it's way out.

If you hear something different, other than on this board, let me know.

/ BX24 BH pivots VERY hard to grease #4  
Try putting the bucket on the ground to take pressure off of the pivot point.

ron

/ BX24 BH pivots VERY hard to grease #5  
Try taking the zerk fitting out and cleaning it with a small nail and some WD40or something. Clean out the hole and shoot some WD in there too. Every time I've struggled with the grease gun it seemed to be dirt inside the zerks.

/ BX24 BH pivots VERY hard to grease #6  
I have the same problem at the same points. It's been like that since new.

/ BX24 BH pivots VERY hard to grease #7  
Slightly off topic. But what kinda grease do you folks use?

/ BX24 BH pivots VERY hard to grease #8  
mswlogo said:
Slightly off topic. But what kinda grease do you folks use?
I been using Case brand grease...its what the dealer uses/sells...it wasn't anymore expensive than the stuff you get at the autoparts store so I figured if its good enough for the dealer its good enough for me...

/ BX24 BH pivots VERY hard to grease
Update-
rounded up the fittings at the Parker store, durn them high pressure steel NPT parts are pricey, walked out with $13 worth in my palm:eek:

Rigged up a grease gun hose (BTW I ruptured a 3000PSI hose with a manual gun, used a 4500PSI rated one for this test) to my Porta-Power clone, took 5000 PSI to bust through the top BH pivot and about 1500 through the bottom one. Got the bottom one to take grease better than it was.
The top one....well I could pump oil through at 5000 PSI but not grease so I disassembled it, what a chore that was! Found absolutely nothing wrong or contaminated. The interior of the fixed portion has a small channel milled around for grease to flow. The pin is so dang tight I had to use around 5000 lbs of force with a mini ram to push it out*. And a BFH to get it back in.

Moral- I'll continue to try to grease it at each interval but not worry about getting any to flow out like all the other grease points on the BX:cool:

* I added an inline pressure gauge to my Porta-Power clone. If you compute the area of the various cylinders you can determine how much force you are applying. I happen to have a mini ram that is right at 1 sq in so it is handy as a scale too! Simply see how much pressure it takes to move or lift something and you know the weight in lbs, read directly off the gauge...kinda cool;)

/ BX24 BH pivots VERY hard to grease #10  
I have the same problem greasing but it is the fitting where the stabilizer connects to the back hoe. I am not able to get the pin out and when taking out the screw which holds the pin in the end of the stabilizer it is almost impossible to rotate the pin . I was told that it is a tight fit and to give it time and the pin would wear and would then be able to grease it, that was 130 hours ago and still not able to grease .