Forks for logging

/ Forks for logging #1  

cerescobra

I'm about to pull the trigger on a B7800 (possibly tomorrow) and need to decide what implements I want to include besides the FEL and 72" MMM. I see there is a frame and pallet fork setup available for the 7800. For going into the woods an bringing our logs, do any of you use this setup? The dealer also talked about an inexpensive pallet fork setup that mounts on the bucket. Any experience with this?

Thanks for your help in spending my money ;-)

Chuck

/ Forks for logging #2  
Kubota doesn't offer a grapple for the FEL, but there are aftermarket suppliers who do. For the size of your tractor, I believe that ATI and W. R. Long both offer a grapple that will fit to the top of your FEL.

This post by TBN member Northland has several pics of this B7800 with grapple on FEL:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/.../119444-tooth-bar-question-2.html#post1380465

Here is a pic posted by JW5875 of a different W.R. Long device that might interest you.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...3d1208696609-l3400-w-hoe-grapple-p4190041.jpg

Here is the ATI grapple:

ATI Corporation - Grapple Kit Images

Here's the Long's home page with several devices that might interest you:

W.R.Long the 4N1 Bucket People

Last edited:
   / Forks for logging #3  
Did some logging this year and had a deck of small logs left for fire wood. Have an L3130 with the ATI bolt on grapples on bucket and a set of ATI forks. If your logs are shorter than 16 feet or so and uniform in taper they are easy to pickup with the forks and balance. I can move more logs this way than the 2 or 3 that the grapple can hold. I also use the forks to hold the wood when chunking it up into firewood. Not sure about the quick attach for the 7800 but I would look for some type of adapter from Kubota or a pin on aftermarket one as the clamp on forks cut down on your lift capacity alot. Also prefer the WR Long valve kit as it is a third function and not a diverter type.

WR Long valve kit
Valve Kits
Grapple kit
ATI Corporation - Grapple Kit Images
Forks
ATI Corporation - Pallet Fork Images
Quick Attach Kit
ATI Corporation - Tach-All(tm) Quick Attach

David Kb7uns

/ Forks for logging #4  
I have two old truck springs that bolt to the bottom of the bucket and act as forks. Not very fancy but works for me.:D

/ Forks for logging #5  
I have a B7800 which I've had for almost 3 years. Got Payne forks to clamp on bucket when first got tractor. Certainly a big help for logging. I have a portable sawmill so I move a lot of logs. I found that the forks on the bucket had two main problems.
First the logs are out in front a bit more so you can't lift as much. Second the forks had a tendency to rotate if I tried to push under a log with them and hit the dirt, or log.
Finally got a fork/Frame system from the dealer for around $500. Takes about 15-20 minutes to switch out the bucket to forks and vice versa. Not perfect but if doing a lot of fork work I feel it's worthwhile. If I'm just doing a bit of fork work will still put on the Paynes on the bucket rather than change out. I've had to get the Paynes worked on a couple of times after bending them.

Really solved my problem by getting a second tractor, L-39 with a grapple. Whole different situation but that's another story.