B3030 mulching or bagging options? 60 vs. 72

/ B3030 mulching or bagging options? 60 vs. 72 #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
Currently have the RC72-30B mowing deck. I've been disappointed with it's lack of high lift blades, no available mulching kit or bagger. I tried using a trac vac with it, but the low lift blades left a bit to be desired. Trac vac might be sold today - so looking for other optoins.

Does the 60" deck RCK60-30B have a mulching kit available? I've heard something about a new bagger / catcher design that replaces the GCK60-24B any details (cost pix model number?).

/ B3030 mulching or bagging options? 60 vs. 72 #2  
I share your same concerns. I bagged with my BX23 and really liked the results. I got my B3030 and was worried that I wouldn't like the lawn without bagging, but boy, I sure love mowing without bagging. My solution was a core aerator. I am going to pull plugs once or twice a year to deal with the thatch problem and will end up with a healthier lawn without the hassle of bagging. Other bonuses include not having to store a bagger, having the 3 point hitch open all the time without dealing with taking the bagger on/off and being more nimble without the bagger hanging off the back and finally, not dealing with the unsightly and stinky piles of grass, seams like a win/win/win. The drawback for sure is leaf season, I found myself with a rake in my hands, I hate raking, but I had to rake some even with my bagger before.

/ B3030 mulching or bagging options? 60 vs. 72
bagger would be for leaf removal (or for extra grass when the lawn gets out of control if I go on vacation), not everyday use.

Which deck do you have? With the low lift blades on the 72", It's hard to even blow the leaves / grass into a pile to then rake.

FYI - thatch generally isn't caused by clippings, it's usually caused by overfeeding - see reference here Gardening Resources, Cornell University specifically thatch

You are doing the right thing aerating.

/ B3030 mulching or bagging options? 60 vs. 72 #4  
Interesting. I have the 60" deck. I actually purchased the 60" deck AND the bagger. However, the bagger got to be back ordered indefinately so I decided to cancel it and put the money toward an aerator. I wish I had the 72" deck.

I only mowed last September and October, it appeared to do a great job, I only ran it up to about 2,000 RPM. I look forward to see what the spring brings here. So far the grass is off to a slow start and it has been dry, first mowing is still a week away or so.

/ B3030 mulching or bagging options? 60 vs. 72 #5  
I don't have a B3030 but do have a few suggestions re bagging.
I recall reading somewhere that here was no bagging option for the 72". I believe it's due to the width of the mower and the addional weight of the boot/hose assembly of the bager would make it continuously lean to the right.
In any case, I have the 60" MMM on my BX23 and use modified gatorblades on it and get great results. I mow in such a way as to side discharge the clippings into several windrows then go back and pick them up with a cyclone rake. This not only speeds up the mowing process but makes clipping pickup very fast and doesn't effect manuverability when mowing.
A side benefit is a yearly supply of free rich and moist compost for the garden and wifes flowers.
What I would recommend to do 1st would be to get a good measurement of your std blades then go to Oregon.com and/or call them to see if they've got a set of gatorblades to retrofit to your 72" MMM. You may need to make/buy a set of bushings for the center hole.
I'd also keep the TracVac and try it with the new blades (if they are available).

If this fails I'd probably look into selling the 72" and go w/a 60" MMM.

re. Core aerator, I've used one for the 1st time last fall and this early spring and it could be my imagination but it seems I can see an improvment in teh lawn already. I also plan to run it twice a yr for awhile too.

Good luck