Which welder and cheapest price???

/ Which welder and cheapest price??? #1  

boogerman2000

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3540HST, Cub Cadet GT1554
I'm looking to weld some hooks on the bucket and maybe even reinforce the top lip. Also, I'd like to reinforce a 6ft box blade. What is the cheapest welder/specs that could be used? I've been looking at a mig constant feed that would work with a 20amp outlet. I don't mind if I have to make several passes to get a thick enough bead. Convenience/ease of use and Low price is what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?:D

/ Which welder and cheapest price??? #2  
If you just want to weld on your tractor and implements, a 120 volt AC stick welder would be the cheapest option. If it was me, I would want a 240 volt machine with a longer duty cycle than you can get with a 120 volt welder.

If you plan to weld sheet metal too, a mig would be better than stick.

Vic

/ Which welder and cheapest price??? #3  
If you are not going to weld that often, maybe just take the FEL bucket off and put into the bed of a pickup and bring it to a welder. A 110 volt mig welder I don't think would have the power for proper penetration, hence not a safe weld.

/ Which welder and cheapest price??? #4  
bialecki said:
If you are not going to weld that often, maybe just take the FEL bucket off and put into the bed of a pickup and bring it to a welder. A 110 volt mig welder I don't think would have the power for proper penetration, hence not a safe weld.

I agree, if you are going to take the plunge, get a 220v Lincoln. Worse case you can change out the plug and plug it into your dryer socket if that's handy.

/ Which welder and cheapest price??? #5  
boogerman2000 said:
I'm looking to weld some hooks on the bucket and maybe even reinforce the top lip. Also, I'd like to reinforce a 6ft box blade. What is the cheapest welder/specs that could be used? I've been looking at a mig constant feed that would work with a 20amp outlet. I don't mind if I have to make several passes to get a thick enough bead. Convenience/ease of use and Low price is what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?:D
Hobart Handler 140. Use .030 flux core wire and make sure you have something such as a 4" grinder with a good disk on it because you will have to make POSITIVE the surface is CLEAN and
'shiny" ( having a flap disk also is helpful)

The Hobart 187 and the Hobart 210 are much more powerful welders ( both require 240 volts) and you can always turn them down...you just cant turn them UP