Kubota L210 Starting Problem

/ Kubota L210 Starting Problem #1  

Rowcrop

I am new to this forum and to Kubota tractors, so be patient with me. A nature center I volunteer for inherited a Kubota L210 tractor with a multitude of problems. The first problem I am going to tackle is that it is hard to start when cold (and it doesn't get that cold here in Florida). Here are my questions:

1) There is a shiny chrome disk with seven holes in on the dash -- I was told to turn the starter switch to the left while holding my thumb on the chrome disk till it got hot enough to almost burn my finger, then switch to the right to engage the starter. Is this the correct glow plug heating procedure for this tractor?

2) There is only two volts going to the glow plugs.
2A) The glow plugs are wired in parallel -- is this correct? I read somewhere that they should be in series, which would lower their wattage output, which doesn't sound right.
2B) The two volts to the glow plugs is the result of a two volt drop across the shiny chrome disk thing mentioned in Question 1 plus an eight volt drop across a coiled wire resistor located below the fuel tank. Two volts to the glow plugs seems to be an awfully low number to me -- is this a correct voltage. (Each glow plug measures around one ohm resistance.)

Thanks for your help ahead of time. (Once I get the starting problem straightened out, I will be back with questions about the clutch, brakes and hydraulics!)