Replace secondary (inner) air filter?

/ Replace secondary (inner) air filter? #1  

Rusty

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500HSD-R
The operator's manual for my B7500 specifies replacing the secondary (inner) air cleaner element every year. I have changed it every 200 hours (12-15 months) since I bought the tractor new. I have not seen any trace of soiling on any of the three secondary elements that I have replaced. In a discussion today with the parts man at my Kubota dealer, he questioned why I replace a filter that is still "clean."

How often do the rest of you replace the secondary air cleaner element? What criteria do you use to determine when to replace this filter?

Thanks, in advance!

/ Replace secondary (inner) air filter? #2  
My criteria is:

1. Dirty filter get the boot.
2. Clean filter stays till it meets criteria one.

/ Replace secondary (inner) air filter? #3  
I ran a B7500 for 700 hrs. over six seasons. I replaced the outer filter every 150 hours or so, i never replaced the inner filter as it never got soiled.

/ Replace secondary (inner) air filter? #4  
Rusty said:
The operator's manual for my B7500 specifies replacing the secondary (inner) air cleaner element every year. I have changed it every 200 hours (12-15 months) since I bought the tractor new. I have not seen any trace of soiling on any of the three secondary elements that I have replaced. In a discussion today with the parts man at my Kubota dealer, he questioned why I replace a filter that is still "clean."

How often do the rest of you replace the secondary air cleaner element? What criteria do you use to determine when to replace this filter?

Thanks, in advance!
Since I dont like to waste $ I never replace it. The outer one is a much finer filter with much greater area. It does all the work. The secondary is just there in case of failure of the primary. The primary can rupture if you dont clean or replace it appropriately. If that ever happens you replace them both. I clean my outer filter enuf and it has never failed, so I have never replaced an outer filter either.
larry

/ Replace secondary (inner) air filter? #5  
academic question: can a visual always determine when a filter needs changing? also, don't forget the manual stating not to touch or handle the inner element for some reason. the quality of the intake air flow, aside from fuel & engine oil quality, determines the longevity of diesels. I've heard from K mechanics where owners used after market air filters, duct taping non stock openings in them, and dusting the engine in a hurry. I'd almost rather go slightly over on an oil change than save a few $ on air filters...... yeah, I'm neurotic, but a change of air filters, in some cases, is less than the monthly interest of a payment....and big bub (7040) will be paid off in several months bb

/ Replace secondary (inner) air filter? #6  
Yeah but aren't those inners expensive. I PM my neighbors Ford 4630 and I think the inner is triple the price of the outer. I just keep a clean outter for now.

My little L only has 1.

/ Replace secondary (inner) air filter?
All - Thanks for the comments! I'm still thinking about this. I am in the "Don't be cheap on maintenance" crowd, but I am really wondering about this one. My inner filter is a metal mesh (fine opening screen) material that you can look thru - no pleated opaque fabric - no visual soiling.

RobJ said:
Yeah but aren't those inners expensive. I PM my neighbors Ford 4630 and I think the inner is triple the price of the outer.

Rob - For my B7500, the outer element was $34.76 and the inner element was $32.34 the last time I bought (about 15 months ago).

/ Replace secondary (inner) air filter? #8  
rusty: I'll bet you're 98% okay most times on the inner from what you describe. Just something not to be taken for granted. why not ask an impartial K mechanic about it, or call central @ 817 571 0900 (w/SN on hand) and ask for Larry or David in tech bb

/ Replace secondary (inner) air filter? #9  
Rusty [B said:
Rob[/B] - For my B7500, the outer element was $34.76 and the inner element was $32.34 the last time I bought (about 15 months ago).

Wow both pricey. That Ford is a 50hp range tractor, I think the outer is about $20(and a huge filter), the inner about $50 something.

/ Replace secondary (inner) air filter?
big bubba said:
rusty: I'll bet you're 98% okay most times on the inner from what you describe. Just something not to be taken for granted. why not ask an impartial K mechanic about it, or call central @ 817 571 0900 (w/SN on hand) and ask for Larry or David in tech bb

big bubba - Thanks! I just off the telephone with Larry at Kubota Central. He said that the inner filter element is a safety net in case of damage/failure of the outer primary element. Although my casual observation of the inner element led me to believe that it has larger openings than the primary filter, Larry says that the inner element provides finer filtration. It can continue to be used until damage/failure of the primary element, or observable soiling of the secondary element. I intend to keep changing the primary element every 200 hours, but only replacing the secondary element as described above.

Thanks, again, to all!!! :)