Grading BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #1  

fish6942

Gold Member
Tractor
'07 Kubota BX2350
I've been searching for a used 4' box blade for quite some time but there just doesn't seem to be any out there. Now I've come across a pretty good deal on a 5' King Kutter (full size yellow type) that I'm considering.

I'm planning to use it for some actual earth moving chores with our upcoming house build. The soil is mostly black dirt. What are the chances that a BX2350 is going to be able to pull this thing? It has turf tires.

If I don't go with this 5 footer, chances are I'll suck it up and buy a new one from TSC for $400.

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #2  
Hi: I just purchased the 4' King Kutter XB box blade for my BX1850. I purchased it to maintain my gravel driveway and it has done a great job. In my opinion, the 4' box blade is a good match for the BX 1850.

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #3  
Last edited:
   / BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #4  
A 5ft BB on a BX is probably pushing it. You may need ballast up front due to the weight.

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #5  
My BX2200 3ph has no problem lifting my 42" Gannon box blade which weighs about 650 lb. Counterweight is helpful, but I don't have to have it. I can pick up my 42" rear blade with one arm. It is not that heavy, and we are talking an extra 18" of blade on the same frame.

I don't know for sure, but going over 5' on a BX might create issues when snagging a corner of the blade on something like a buried boulder or big root. Don't really know, just wondering about it.

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #6  
I just picked up one of the $400 box blades from TSC for my BX this past weekend. It seems to be a good fit, although I don't really have anything to compare it to. Based on what I've read here, you can't go wrong with a 4' on a BX, but it sure would be nice if you knew someone with a 5' one that you could take out for a test drive.

But, as far as what I can offer toward decision-making, one of the things to consider is what you intend to do with your box blade. I initially plan to grade an open area on my property, so the 4' blade isn't best for that. But, after that project is finished, most of the work the box blade will do will be carving trails in the woods. For that, the 4' blade will be perfect, and I probably would have come across situations where 5' would have been too wide from an accessibility perspective. So, I suggest considering what you plan to use the blade for. If you live on a wide open plane, then it's a matter of whether the tractor can handle 5'. If you're in the woods like me, consider what size is best for what you want to do.

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade
All good responses.

My biggest concern has to do with running out of traction. Remember that I have turf tires. I'd probably have the FEL on when doing this kind of work so hopefully that'll help some.

For those of you with the 4 foot BBs, at what point do you start spinning the tires? Is is due to the scraper blade digging in too much, the scarifiers or too much material being pulled along?

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #8  
I have R4s and so far have only run into traction problems when the tractor catches a root and the root wins. With how easily the BX has pulled this 4' blade so far, I wouldn't be all that surprised if it could handle 5'. But, I only have about 6 hours off BB usage so far, and I've yet to lower the scarifiers beyond their highest position. I'm sure that I'll realize that 4' is the max like the more experienced have.

If you run into traction issues, I'd just get chains. My 2WD Wheel Horse with chains on it would go places I couldn't go with a 4WD BX.

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #9  
A standard 5' box blade would be to much for a BX. Stick with a four foot or less!

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #10  
My neighbor has the 5 foot yellow one and I tried it on my BX23. I had no trouble lifting it with my FEL on but I had trouble pulling it with the tines down in turf, even the first position below the blade. It would just stop and not spin really. Although I am a complete box blade novice so that probably has a lot to do with it. I finally got it adjusted to scrape without the scarifiers and it worked OK but If I was spending money on one I would want the 4 footer