Towing Cab Tractor - Stone Chips on Glass?

/ Towing Cab Tractor - Stone Chips on Glass? #1  

tmc2318

Bronze Member
Tractor
2007 L3540 HST Cab
My plan is to load my tractor to do some work about 2 hours from home but I am a little worried about getting a stone chip on my front glass on the cab, as some of the distance is on gravel roads. I bought a mat with carpet on one side and rubber on the other that will cover the glass and will attach with 4 bungee type cords to the glass. I am now worried about a combination of dust and carpet scratching the glass as it might rub against the glass at highway speeds.

Anyone else deal with this for their Cab tractors or should I just tow without worrying about it?

/ Towing Cab Tractor - Stone Chips on Glass? #2  
I towed my cab tractor over the road on a weekly basis and never lost any glass. I hauled my 3030 across state lines to her new owner a couple weeks ago without a scratch.

/ Towing Cab Tractor - Stone Chips on Glass? #3  
If you are that worried,, load it backwards and you won't have the worry's for the most part

/ Towing Cab Tractor - Stone Chips on Glass? #4  
I have a piece of shadecloth i use for the same purpose it also keeps the sun off the dash when it is parked . Put an eyelet in each corner and tie the top close to the roof and tie the bottom forward to the loader frame etc . This deflects the stones and does not rub the glass . You could also make a cut out in the shadecloth to go down the sides of the bonnet to protect the lower glass panels (the shape would look like a toilet mat).

/ Towing Cab Tractor - Stone Chips on Glass? #5  
I would not worry about that not impossible but almost If you really want to worry about something, worry about the door latch coming open and the wind ripping the door off also not very likely, but has crossed my mind when hauling my cab L4200. KennyV.

/ Towing Cab Tractor - Stone Chips on Glass? #6  
KennyV said:
I would not worry about that not impossible but almost If you really want to worry about something, worry about the door latch coming open and the wind ripping the door off also not very likely, but has crossed my mind when hauling my cab L4200. KennyV.
Well said, i have had the same fear, i always lock my cab doors when my machine is on the trailer. Im using a 16 ft. twin axle, 7800 gvw trailer that was perfect for my B3030 HSDC. Now that i have a GL 3540 HSDC my trailering options are limited, what implements are on the tractor determine how i load.

/ Towing Cab Tractor - Stone Chips on Glass? #7  

You could wrap a moving blanket around it and bungee it.

BTW, doesn't the tow vehicle deflect the stones?

/ Towing Cab Tractor - Stone Chips on Glass? #8  
If a blanket does not work, find a big piece of cardboard and duct tape it to cover the windshield. Murphy's law says what ever you do, you should always gone one step further!

/ Towing Cab Tractor - Stone Chips on Glass? #9  
Broke the front glass of my JD 3720 last fall when hauling it on a trailer. I suspect it happened on a recently oiled asphalt road which had layer of gravel added on top. Don't know if it came from my truck or meeting a car/truck. Shattered into a million pieces. Cost to have dealer replace was around $1100. $400 for windshield, rest labor. My tractor insurance covered it. Had to remove top of cab to replace. I have hauled it many times before that without incident. I now haul it backwards when possible because the rear window is easy to replace compared to the front. I don't use any special protection on the glass.