Long-term storage of my L3400 HST

/ Long-term storage of my L3400 HST #1  
Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST
Looks like I am going to Iraq for a year and my relatively new tractor will sit idle for that time. I need ideas on how best to store it and guarantee it will run when I come home.

I keep the tractor in a shed on my acreage (six miles from home) so it won't get any rain, snow, or UV rays. The rear tires are filled.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone I can trust to go out there and start it up once in a while.

What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

/ Long-term storage of my L3400 HST #2  
Go right back to your dealer and get the answers from him.If you store it 6 miles from home it may not be there when you get back or it might be missing parts. If it were me I would store it in one of those storage cubes that you can rent and is fenced in.

/ Long-term storage of my L3400 HST #3  
We need some help here guys. There must be someone in So. Indiana who can store this guy's tractor with a reasonable guarantee that it will be there when he gets back:rolleyes: If you can get it So. Maine,I'll guanantee it will be here for you when you get back:cool: :cool:

/ Long-term storage of my L3400 HST #4  
A good diesel fuel stabilizer would be a good start...actually its probably all you need.

Thank you for doing what you do!

/ Long-term storage of my L3400 HST #5  
Storing a tractor is never any good for it I don't care what you do to it. Now if you bring it to my house I promise to use her gently and tuck her in every night so she will not get lonely and she will be ready for you in a month or two ( I will need to have time to say goodbye and you will need time to get the sand out of your shoes) after you get back!!! LOL Anyway good luck and God bless you and thank you for serving our country. P.S.Checking with your dealer is the best betsomeone close to where you live should be able tostore her in a secure place for you. Ken.

/ Long-term storage of my L3400 HST #6  
Get the weight off the tires; maybe put it up on blocks. Heck, might want to take the tires off it and store them at home....would make it harder to steal.

Add some fuel conditioner to the tank and run it for awhile. Pull the battery. I'd leave the rest of the fluids in it, however. Get rid of hay or anything that would attract rodents. They say mothballs are a good rodent repellant, but there's probably something better. Be sure to check for mouse nests and chewed up wiring before starting. Mice can create an electrical nightmare.

Best to see what the dealer says. Good Luck in Iraq.
Bob

/ Long-term storage of my L3400 HST #7  
On page 68 of the owners manual are the guidelines for long term storage. A lot of the items have already been mentioned in this thread. Here is a scan of that page.

Terry

Attachments

• Long Term Storage.pdf
    153.9 KB · Views: 152
   / Long-term storage of my L3400 HST #8  
TheCommissioner said:
Looks like I am going to Iraq for a year and my relatively new tractor will sit idle for that time. I need ideas on how best to store it and guarantee it will run when I come home.

I keep the tractor in a shed on my acreage (six miles from home) so it won't get any rain, snow, or UV rays. The rear tires are filled.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone I can trust to go out there and start it up once in a while.

What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

No matter where you store your battery this will assure it will be top shape when you return.

Battery Tender Plus 12 Volt 1.25 Amp Battery Charger: BatteryMart.com

/ Long-term storage of my L3400 HST #9  
In addition to all of the good ideas above, I would also want hit the exposed metal that isn't painted with WD-40. I would also look for a storage unit for it.

Starting the tractor for a few minutes periodically is a very bad idea. If it isn't fully warmed up, the sulfuric acid forms in the crank case won't disipate. I would just let it sit for the whole tour of duty if I were you.

/ Long-term storage of my L3400 HST #10  
My L39 has a hook to keep the clutch in a disengaged position for long term storage. It keeps the clutch plate from rusting which is a bad thing. In addition to removing the battery I would pull the fuses to help discourage someone from playing with it. Jacking and blocking the tractor so the tires are off the ground is a good idea but you better have some good blocking with loaded tires.

MarkV