Replacing BX fan w/electric fan

/ Replacing BX fan w/electric fan #1  

bx24

Platinum Member
I am looking for everyone's thoughts on replacing the fan that is on my BX with an electric unit (similar to what is on a small car). I like that fact that the radiator stays clean in the summer because it blows away from the driver into the engine compartment. But in the winter, this would serve to suck heat from an enclosed cab.

I was wondering if a DC fan unit would solve my problems. I figure that with a flick of a switch, I could change from summer mode to "driver heater" mode.

I have only taken a quick look at the current fan. Is it as simple as removing the blade and fabbing up the new electrical unit from a space perspective?

Don't be shy, poke holes in my plan!

Thanks

/ Replacing BX fan w/electric fan #2  
Paul,

I do not know about the BX 24, but on my BX2200, below the battery, and behind the screen is a plate that can be removed that draws air in from below the tractor. In the winter I cover the intake screen with plastic and let the air come in through this vent in the floor. I leave the bottom vent open the entire year. If you take the black plastic screen off you will notice a screen at the bottom, that is where the plate can be removed. This solves the problem and is very easy to do. If u need more info or a photo let me know.

/ Replacing BX fan w/electric fan
Tom-

I am not near my tractor (it is stored at a different location) so I cannot picture the "vent" you are referring to. I have removed the screen to get at the battery several times, but all I recall is the aluminum box that the battery is bungy corded to. I will try to get by there in the next day or two, but if you could snap a couple of pics, that would be great. If this is the same situation with the BX24, that sounds like it would solve my dilemma.

Thanks

/ Replacing BX fan w/electric fan #4  
NY_Yankees_Fan said:
Paul,

I do not know about the BX 24, but on my BX2200, below the battery, and behind the screen is a plate that can be removed that draws air in from below the tractor. In the winter I cover the intake screen with plastic and let the air come in through this vent in the floor. I leave the bottom vent open the entire year. If you take the black plastic screen off you will notice a screen at the bottom, that is where the plate can be removed. This solves the problem and is very easy to do. If u need more info or a photo let me know.
ON the 22,and 23 remove the screen at your feet,take out the floor board behind it.Plug off the screen so air cant come through it and reinstall.The air for the radiator will come from under the tractor.You might want some sceen material to put where the floor panel was.Im not sure but your 24 should have the same feature.
ALAN

OK, I just shot some pics. Does this look the same as a BX22 or BX23? Are you talking about the plastic shroud?

I could see how this would work to pull air from underneath in the winter time instead of from the cab, but I was hoping to actually push heat into the cab by running the fan backwards (assuming I mount a DC fan). At this point the biggest question is do I have enough room if I were to remove the existing plastic fan blade .....

Does isn't it look like one of the fan blades is broken off from this angle ;)

One thing I forgot to measure is how big the existing fan is in diameter. If you search on eBay for "10" RADIATOR COOLING FAN HIGH PERFORMANCE FLAT BLADE" you can see the type of fan I was looking at. If this proves to be a pain, I may just take you suggestions and pull air from underneath and plumb in a small heater core. I will keep you guys posted.

Attachments

• IMG_8569.JPG
    IMG_8569.JPG
    971.9 KB · Views: 2,499
  • IMG_8571.JPG
    IMG_8571.JPG
    798.2 KB · Views: 919
   / Replacing BX fan w/electric fan #7  
My My, what a dirty tractor. Looks just like mine!

ron

OK, besides the issue of my tractor being dirty ;), has anyone pulled the plastic fan off the engine before? Time consuming? Any estimates on how much clearance I will end up with between the pulley and the radiator?

/ Replacing BX fan w/electric fan #10  
I don't see what the problem would be...wouldn't even have to be centered or anything...could even go with multiple smaller fans if that worked easier.

I have a hard time to get my temp needle off "C"...it usually floats halfway between the first and second ticks mowing with the blower on a 100 degree day. Stays on or below the first tick in the winter.

Oh and when you DO get around to cleaning that filthy tractor, don't use the slippery Armor All on the floormat or on the brake/treadle pedals...only if you're taking it to a show. And I only use 100% silicone on the tires to shine them up, but I don't bother to get between ALL the lugs on the turfs...bars would be much easier. And I have some great Chainsaw Cleaner from Stihl that gets all the black exhaust soot off the FEL arm. I only do that evey other day or so, in between waxings. Of course the wax makes the silk bed sheet I cover it with slide right off when I'm ready to start working on the weekends...a California King almost covers the FEL bucket AND the BH.