Oil & Fuel L 3940 HSTC 50 hour Transmission oil change

/ L 3940 HSTC 50 hour Transmission oil change #1  

Ranger Rick

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940
After reading previous posts about whether you should change the transmission oil at 50 hour or just change the filters I decided to go ahead and change the oil. After looking at all the metal that had collected on the magnet of the hydraulic filter I think that it was worth the expense of changing the transmission oil. I plan to keep this tractor for many years.
Hydraulic filter metal debris.jpg

There are three drain plugs on the L3940, One on inside of each rear wheel area and one big one in the center of the transmission. I decided to drain the wheel area ones first since it looked like they were higher up and would have less oil in those areas. These drain plugs took a 14MM wrench.
Right side drain plug.jpg

I got about 2 1/2 gallons out of the first one and another 1 ス gallons out of the second one. The big center drain plug takes a 24MM wrench. Another 6 gallons came out the center plug. I had to put the plug back in before it all drained out so that I could move a empty bucket under the drain to catch the rest of the oil.
Big Drain plug.jpg

The manual say the transmission capacity is 11.4 but I had less then 10 gallons drain out So when you buy your UDT, 10 gallons is more then enough to fill it back up to the full line on the dip stick.
The hydraulic suction filter came off without any problem using a filter wrench. The HST filter on the other side was a different story. I broke one filter wrench and finally ended up hammering a big screwdriver through the filter to get the leverage I needed to break it loose.
New Filters ready to go in.jpg Funnel to fill.jpg New HST filter installed left side.jpg New Hydraulic filter Right side.jpg
The hook for the top link was useful in holding the funnel while I poured in the oil. On the cab model tractor you definitely need a long funnel to fill it.
Finally got it all done and now all I need is some dry weather so I can go mow
the fields. Ranger Rick
Tractor.jpg