BX23 solenoid location

/ BX23 solenoid location #11  
So the solenoid opening back up is the click I hear a few seconds after shut-down?
Yep. thats the solenoid returning to it's "un-energized" state. Which is also the indication that the 10 to 15 sec's of 12v thats applied to the solenoid from the timer relay when the key is turned off and/or a safety switch trips, has been removed.

If you unplug the solenoid's connector, so you can't hear it "slam" back, you can hear the faint sound of the timer relay clicking.

/ BX23 solenoid location #12  
Volfandt said:
Just checked out the wiring on my 04 BX23 and it's not like the WSM either. I've got the D905 engine and it has only two wires to the stop solenoid connector, white and black. On the stop solenoid side of the connector they change to red and black.
I printed off the wireing schematic and will study it some when I get alittle extra time this evening. A quick glance seems to show either some misprints and/or incomplete details.
Some of these model will run without the solenoid installed, I'm now curious if thats the case with ours.
We'll cypher it out :D
re:solenoidwiring questions; my 2910 i was having trouble starting and keeping running absolutely runs fine w/o the solenoid. Just put a cover plate using same mtg hdw. and kill it with kill lever on front of pump. flatfenderguy

/ BX23 solenoid location
Although I read 12 volts on the pair of wires that feed the solenoid, it doesn't energize the solenoid. I put 2 amps and 12 volts from my charger on the "in situ" solenoid and i can hear the unit pop out and then in . Something is indeed awry. Tried beating on the timer relay to no avail.Guess I'll try to replace the relay. Also, when the problem 1st began, , the engine would shut down a few seconds after the key was put in the off position, then this deteriorated until it would not shut off at all. Larry

/ BX23 solenoid location #14  
Sounds like a wiring problem to me. Does it get a full 12 volts to the coil when on the tractor. You might show 12 volt with out the coil load, but most important is the voltage to the coil when installed in the circut.

ron

/ BX23 solenoid location
I'll check the juice to the solenoid while its hooked up. Thanks. By the way, I noticed that the timer solenoid( it its Denso part 061700 3770 black box with 4 contacts and silver label) Label says "important keep mounting in the direction shown right" with an arrow to the top. There are 2 plastic clips molded into the to of the case which holds onto a bracket in the correct position. Mine are broken so the relay hangs upside down. The definitely is no clicking going on.
What damage cold happen by it hanging upside down? I guess I'll replace it. Larry

/ BX23 solenoid location #16  
I don't know about damage, but if it's a mercury switched relay, it won't work upside down.

ron

/ BX23 solenoid location
EUREKA!! I replaced the relay, called a timer key stop, kubota # T0070 31410,and lo and behold, everything works the way it should. The seat saftey switches and the solenoid work again. I feel much better being able to shut the unit down from the seat. thanks for the help, Larry in western Mass. :)

/ BX23 solenoid location #18  
Volfandt said:
If one raises up from the seat and with the pto engaged (except in the rear only position) and/or depresses the HST pedal voltage is removed from the timer relay "control circuit" which inturn causes it to immediately apply 12v to the stop solenoid for approx 10 sec's, then the timer relay clicks off and voltage is once again removed from the stop solenoid. 10 seconds is plenty enough time to shut down the D905.

Great work guys.

I have to share my experience regarding the above quote.
When I am creeping the tractor with the hst pedal and go too far and hit the shutdown switch it does not activate the timer.
If I release the pedal as soon as I hear the tractor stumble then it will continue to run. I haven't tried standing up with the pto engaged to see if it activates the timer but maybe this weekend.

/ BX23 solenoid location #19  
Rusty4242, great, glad you got it fixed. I believe thats the 1st case of a bad timer relay posted here. Course I could have missed one if it was :D
Hate to say it but your tractor failure helped me understand how mine works, I guess I should say both thanks and sorry 'bout that :D

Berniep, if you've got a multimeter you can test your safety switches by unplugging the stop solenoid connector and plugging your meter into the connector, then do your tests with just the key switch on, simulating a run condition, It'll save you fuel $$$'s and wear and tear on your engine :D

/ BX23 solenoid location
No.The click is from the timer relay under the dash which cuts the current to the solenoid. I suppose the solenoid should retract at the same time, so maybe what we hear are both sounds together. Larry