Which hand tools to keep on tractor?

/ Which hand tools to keep on tractor? #21  
That was my big .. and only, gripe about my 1920.. the tool box was useless..

I sometimes use military ammo boxes as tool boxes and have been known to mount them to fenders ( flattops ) or to mower decks.. they are water tight and sturdy.

soundguy

/ Which hand tools to keep on tractor? #22  
have_blue said:
Yea, the tougher guys can substitute poison ivy for the paper, and carry thumb tacks in case their socks keep falling down. ;)

Reminds me of my aunt taking her six kids on a camping trip. They picked the prettiest green leaves they could find for privy use. The whole family ended up in the hospital.

/ Which hand tools to keep on tractor? #23  
I'd include a gun rack with a 30/06. Mine fits perfectly on the ROPS. I don't have a tool box but I suppose I could put a hammer in the ammo box bolted on the fender.

/ Which hand tools to keep on tractor? #24  
I have a friend who did just that!

Me, I don't hunt when I'm tractoring. The deer are safe when I'm on the Kubota.

However, the farmer next door is at war with the coyotes and he gives me a hard time for not shooting the ones I see. He even carries a lever action in a leather scabbard when he is on his horse!

/ Which hand tools to keep on tractor? #25  
In addition to my tools, I carry a hunting knife. I keep having premonitions of rolling over, stuck in my seatbelt or getting a vine wrapped around my neck. Not sure I could get to my pocket knife hanging upside down, thus the hunting knife.

Where are the coyotes when you need them? I have 3 tame mallards that moved into my fish pond. I'm thinking about getting after them with a paintball gun.

/ Which hand tools to keep on tractor? #26  
Yep.. knife is a good thing to have...

soundguy

/ Which hand tools to keep on tractor? #28  
I have a small hatchet mounted onto a modified greasegun clamp on my ROPS and in my toolbox I carry assorted clips, hitchpins & lynch pins, a length of nylon rope, linemans pliers, channellocks, a straight slot & Phillips screw driver(s) and a length of chain wrapped around the hatchet and holder. Gloves and a rag lay on the fender.
I wish my ponderosa was big enough to justify a roll of tp for that occasional emergency headcall but alas, my std crapper is but minutes away should natures #2 call :D
Oh and I prefer Charmin :D

/ Which hand tools to keep on tractor? #29  
In my tool box, which sits behind my seat, between my ROPS, is the following.

Hammer. I use it for helping implements fit when they don't want to.

Wrenches in the sizes of my nuts and bolts. I know one is a 15/16's that is for my lift arms, but I forget the big one for my top link. I also have a 3/4 in there as well as a 10, 11 & 12 mm. I had an ajustable wrench, but it rusted on me, so I just have the wrenches that I actually need for implements and things that have broken.

Phillips and flat head screwdrivers. I tried the multi tip ones, but two of them rusted on me so that I couldn't switch tips. Now I just carry those two. I've had branches pull off my fuel line twice so far. Having a screwdriver to put it back on was very handy!!!

I have a pair of channel lock pliers, but never use them. I sometimes think of taking them out, but I know that I'll need them the first day that I do that.

Extra pins for my implements. In four years of doing this, I seem to have a pin fall off about once a year.

Sheer pins for my rotary cutter. For awhile, when I first bought my place and was doing allot of severy bush cutting, I was breaking pins about once a month. Now I'm mostly cutting with my finish mower and haven't broken a sheer pin in years. I still keep about three of them in there anyway. I also have a small tube of loctite for the sheer pins.

Not in my tool box, but behind my seat is a stick that I use to clean the screen in front of my radiator. It's just the perfect size for those field cleanings when the tempature starts to rise. I just shut it down, pull the screen, wipe it off with that stick and put it back together. Total time is abotu two minutes and I'm good to go. In my shop, I have a flexible grease hose on the end of my air hose that I use for proper radiator cleaning. The grease hose is perfect in length for this and the threads are also just right.

Next to me, I have two small plastic holders mounted onto the tops of my fenders. One is the bottom part of an old, small ice chest. It will hold four or five water bottles or sodas. I dump ice in there and they stay cold for quite awhile. I have holes in the bottom for drainage. On the other fender is a plastic holder for two cups and other stuff in between from Atwoods. I think I got it in their fishing area and it's for boats. I keep my bug repelent there and my wasp spray. In between is where I'll put my chapstick and whatever else I want to snack on. The bugs just love to bite or sting me on the back of my neck. It's by far the most common place to be attacked for me. The bug repellent works great and has stopped allot of the pain of those attackes. The wasp spray is for those rare times that I hit a nest, or just get too close to wasps or bees. I've been stung a few times, but since carrying the wasp spray, I've managed to fight off and scare away more wasps then I can count. I've run over one bee hive and had thousands of them come after the tractor. They focused on the front of the tractor for some reason, so I sprayed a cloud of spray around me, got off the tractor and ran away without getting stung. A few hours later, I went back and the bees were gone. My dad hit a hive while on the backhoe and got hit pretty bad. He denies this, but he forgot that he had the spray and froze up when they came at him. Then when he was stung for the first time, the drove away in the backhoe while they attacked him. He was driving and swatting them, but never used the spray.

I carried toilet paper with me in the beginning, but it just fell apart and became a mess. I only have 68 acres, so I'm never that far away from the house to use the toilet. I have been known to use my socks in an emergancy, but that was on hunting trips in the Rocky Mountains.

Eddie

/ Which hand tools to keep on tractor? #30  
FIRE EXTINGUISHER!

ALmost lost a garden tractor once due to an oil leak being ignited by the exhaust.

NOT FUN>>>