BX front axle pivot adjustment Help

/ BX front axle pivot adjustment Help #1  

shelbydog25

I've been visiting this site for several years, glad I found it when I purchased my BX2200. . Here ones I'm not sure about. With 471 hrs on it, when I turn the wheels all the way to the left, the front steering shaft piston pivots outside one side of the "hanger" (see photos). After which, the steering locks up and no left turn are possible. Once replaced into the hanger slot, all is well until I lock out the steering to the left again, and the piston slips back out of the hanger.

What I've checked: Hanger mounting bolts are tight. I've lightly tapped the hangers to bend them inward slightly, re-aligning the steering piston/shaft back into the hanger ring. this may just be a bandaid. Anyone else having/had issues with this? I did remove the cotter pin from the front axle pivot adjustment (see photo), but the adjustmet screw it tight with little play. Am I missing something here?

Mike

Attachments

• front axle hanger 1.JPG
    front axle hanger 1.JPG
    727.8 KB · Views: 401
  • front axle hanger 2.JPG
    front axle hanger 2.JPG
    727.5 KB · Views: 380
  • front axle pivot.JPG
    front axle pivot.JPG
    770.7 KB · Views: 370
   / BX front axle pivot adjustment Help #2  
Seems odd. My tractor is being serviced, so I can't go outside to look...what does the other side look like? Is it seated in the hanger or is the hanger bent out at all? It would seem that with the hangers being a constant width apart and the steering rack being of fixed length, something must have changed to create this condition.

Of course, some things get shorter with age...471 hours of use...dunno...:)

/ BX front axle pivot adjustment Help
hangers are fixed and consistent. when turning, the steering shaft is pushed like a plunger towards the opposite side hanger, it pops out the left side hanger. got me stumped as well. maybe tie rod have to be adjusted? they are threaded?

/ BX front axle pivot adjustment Help #4  
shelbydog25;
Measure the length of steering cylinder at the mounting points and the distance between the mounting brackets and then check the brackets for square in the frame(measure front and rear of brackets,compare specs).Something has to have changed in the mounting demensions for this to happen like maybe the frame has spread a little at the bracket points.Good luck.Keep us all posted.
Bob.

/ BX front axle pivot adjustment Help #5  
mine has bolts to limit the travel or how much it turns. these are on the back side of the axle. is one missing or needs adjusting?

/ BX front axle pivot adjustment Help
Figured I post the answer and solution to my problem for any future bota owners

, took my photo's by the local Kubota dealer and spoke to a service tech. After looking at a similar 2200, we determined it was a missing "C" clip on the steering gear (right front - not photgraphed). You can see it in photo #2 (middle photo). There is a clip (looks like cat's ears) to the left of the steering gear shaft hanger. the opposite side, non photographed, was 1/2 broken, missing one "ear" and pushed from it's groove. These clips stop the sliding motion/range of your steering gear shafts. with mine, the gear was not being stopped by the broken C clip, allowing the other side (front left) to drop out of the hanger, thus not allowing left hand turns... Kudo's to Kubota's service tech. C clips on order ($1.25 each... easy fix.

Thanks for the replies