BX22 plow, frame mount or FEL mount?

/ BX22 plow, frame mount or FEL mount? #1  

SUPERNUG

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX22
I would like to put a front snow plow on my BX22. Is a frame mount with a quick hitch an option? What controls it since my controls come off with the FEL? How good are the Curtis FEL mounted snow plows?

/ BX22 plow, frame mount or FEL mount? #2  
I'm not sure the Curtis fel mounted plows are available for the center cylinder BX loaders. I would prefer the Kubota frame quick hitch mounted plow on that tractor. I'm afraid that the fel mounted plow would put the weight too far forward, and be very tricky to keep in the proper vertical relationship with the ground. Very easy to tip the plow too far forward, or back.

/ BX22 plow, frame mount or FEL mount? #3  
I agree, for that size tractor I would either purchase the Kubota quick hitch and Kubota front blade or rig up a frame mounted blade yourself. The FEL mounted blades put a lot of stress on the FEL and mounts, especially when you angle the blade. The FEL was not designed for that.

On my B3030, even with the frame mounted Kubota quick hitch and Kubota front hydraulic blade it pushes the tractor around in deep snow. I can only imagine what a FEL mounted blade would do to a BX size tractor.

You might be able to rig up something like a snow pusher like they use on Skid Steers and large loaders. That at least would keep the stress on the FEL in one direction, the same one as using the FEL. If I ever upgrade to a Grand L, I plan on going that route.

This company makes some smaller snow pushers but probably to big for a BX.
SPC Compact Model

/ BX22 plow, frame mount or FEL mount? #4  
Yes, more like this one:

Attachments

• Snow pusher 002.jpg
    Snow pusher 002.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 1,479
  • Snow pusher 005.jpg
    Snow pusher 005.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 886
   / BX22 plow, frame mount or FEL mount? #5  
I have a home made FEL snow plow, it was made out of a large state dump truck plow blade and frame. It was originally made for a BX2200 and requires a bit of modification to fit on my BX24. I did fab it up enough to fit on the BX24 last winter but needs to be re done properly to fit the loader arms. There is a few things to note about a snow plow on the FEL.

1) The weight is forward and I would suggest using a counter weight. I have a gravel driveway and plan on using my landscape rake behind the tractor to finish the snow removal. Last year I left my backhoe on for ballast.

2) For larger storms I like it better than using my neighbors frame mounted snow plow because I can raise and pile snow instead of just packing it to the sides.

3)The float on the FEL valve works very well with a set of plow skid shoes for keeping contact and its really not that bad to keep the angle of the plow blade correct, little practice is all.

I will try to post some pictures of the FEL snow plow from last year it has since been taken apart.