Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    B3030

Default Is a 5' brush hog rotary mower too big for a 3030?

Reason I am asking it is going to cos 300 plus delivery cost to rent a tractor and brushhog to brush hog my property and other parts of the developement. I saw where I could pick up a 5' rotary mower for around $750 bucks from tractor supply(I wonder if these decks are junk?) Is a rotary mower the same thing as a brushhog?

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    B3030HSDC

Default Re: Is a 5' brush hog rotary mower too big for a 3030?

Hello,
    No it is a good size. I had a 6' hog hooked up to mine to destroy lots of things that did not need to be there.

As far as the one from nothern I would see if you can get the specs on the maximums that it can handle. I am resonably sure that they advertize some of the items with a maximum cutting capacity. As long as you are not cutting stuff larger than an inch it would be fine. The blade should be about .25 inches thick and the deck should be as thick as possible.
    Jeff
    B-3030HSDC With Turf and R4 tire sets, 72"MMM with Gator Blades, LA403 60" Bucket, Rear Work Lights, LED warning lights, R&B Tiltmeter

Tractor
    B3030

Chessie,

I see you have gator blades on your 72" mmm deck. How are they working? Do they cut up the grass into smaller pieces?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kuborta B2400, L2900, L4330; Caterpillar D3B, John Deere 455D

I have had a 5' "Bush Hog" brand on my kubota L2900 for ten years. It has 1/2" x 4" blades, and weighs (I think) about 1,300#. It is rated for 3" trees. The L2900 handles it adequately, but not with a lot of cushion. Front end weights are required and in heavy weeds (thick and 5' high) it requires second gear. New ones are about $2,000. I suspect it is a good deal heavier that the TSC model, so your tractor should have no problem with it. As Chessie said, it will probably not be happy with trees over 1".

FarmerFord is pushing it with that deck on the L2900. Not power wise, but balance and stability. Can be done (as he is proof of that!), but if you stick to a 500-750# 5' wide deck you will be easier on the equipment and be more stable.

It's sort of the difference between being able to do it and doing it easily. I can pick up and carry a 100# sack of corn 400 yards thru the woods, but it sure ain't easy and I wouldn't want to do it all day long every day!

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

Quote Originally Posted by john_bud
    FarmerFord is pushing it with that deck on the L2900. Not power wise, but balance and stability. Can be done (as he is proof of that!), but if you stick to a 500-750# 5' wide deck you will be easier on the equipment and be more stable.

It's sort of the difference between being able to do it and doing it easily. I can pick up and carry a 100# sack of corn 400 yards thru the woods, but it sure ain't easy and I wouldn't want to do it all day long every day!
    The last person I talked too about carrying 100# sacks of corn through the woods, complained about the weight of the finished product he was carrying back. Something about liquid weighting 8# per gallon.

Tractor
    L4400

Quote Originally Posted by Gator6x4
    The last person I talked too about carrying 100# sacks of corn through the woods, complained about the weight of the finished product he was carrying back. Something about liquid weighting 8# per gallon.
    Careful, that stuff will blind ya.
    -

Bob

From the heart of Cajun Country

Tractor
    John Deere 3320

Subway,

I just bought this 5' unit from TSC for $614.79 out the door. That included a $50.00 off coupon that came in the mail. So far I have about 4 hours on it and am quite happy with the way it works. Time will tell on the durability.

BTW: My tractor is 33HP and runs it without a grunt.

Good luck,

KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -100_3219-jpg   -100_3220-jpg  

Tractor
    John Deere 770, Bobcat 753

Its not apples to apples, but mine runs a 5 foot brush hog (old Bush Hog and JD) pretty well. It rough cuts fields just fine, but I've never cut thick brush or trees of any diameter. I have only 21 pto horsepower, 800lb lift capacity at the hitch, and I think my machine is lighter than a B3030. I do have a FEL on for front ballast though.
    I've had a wonderful evening, but this wasn't it. ~ Groucho Marx

Tractor
    kubota L 3540 hsdc,B 2320 hsdc & lots of other stuff!

a medium duty 5' rotary cutter will be fine as long as you dont try to clear cut the rain forest! I used a landpride 1542 on my B3030 and she cut like mad!
    We have done so much, for so long,with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast