Mowing Is a 5' brush hog rotary mower too big for a 3030?

/ Is a 5' brush hog rotary mower too big for a 3030? #1  

subway

Tractor
B3030
Reason I am asking it is going to cos 300 plus delivery cost to rent a tractor and brushhog to brush hog my property and other parts of the developement. I saw where I could pick up a 5' rotary mower for around $750 bucks from tractor supply(I wonder if these decks are junk?) Is a rotary mower the same thing as a brushhog?

/ Is a 5' brush hog rotary mower too big for a 3030? #2  
Hello,
No it is a good size. I had a 6' hog hooked up to mine to destroy lots of things that did not need to be there.

As far as the one from nothern I would see if you can get the specs on the maximums that it can handle. I am resonably sure that they advertize some of the items with a maximum cutting capacity. As long as you are not cutting stuff larger than an inch it would be fine. The blade should be about .25 inches thick and the deck should be as thick as possible.
Jeff

/ Is a 5' brush hog rotary mower too big for a 3030?
Chessie,

I see you have gator blades on your 72" mmm deck. How are they working? Do they cut up the grass into smaller pieces?

/ Is a 5' brush hog rotary mower too big for a 3030? #4  
I have had a 5' "Bush Hog" brand on my Kubota L2900 for ten years. It has 1/2" x 4" blades, and weighs (I think) about 1,300#. It is rated for 3" trees. The L2900 handles it adequately, but not with a lot of cushion. Front end weights are required and in heavy weeds (thick and 5' high) it requires second gear. New ones are about $2,000. I suspect it is a good deal heavier that the TSC model, so your tractor should have no problem with it. As Chessie said, it will probably not be happy with trees over 1".

/ Is a 5' brush hog rotary mower too big for a 3030? #5  
FarmerFord is pushing it with that deck on the L2900. Not power wise, but balance and stability. Can be done (as he is proof of that!), but if you stick to a 500-750# 5' wide deck you will be easier on the equipment and be more stable.

It's sort of the difference between being able to do it and doing it easily. I can pick up and carry a 100# sack of corn 400 yards thru the woods, but it sure ain't easy and I wouldn't want to do it all day long every day!

/ Is a 5' brush hog rotary mower too big for a 3030? #6  
john_bud said:
FarmerFord is pushing it with that deck on the L2900. Not power wise, but balance and stability. Can be done (as he is proof of that!), but if you stick to a 500-750# 5' wide deck you will be easier on the equipment and be more stable.

It's sort of the difference between being able to do it and doing it easily. I can pick up and carry a 100# sack of corn 400 yards thru the woods, but it sure ain't easy and I wouldn't want to do it all day long every day!

The last person I talked too about carrying 100# sacks of corn through the woods, complained about the weight of the finished product he was carrying back. Something about liquid weighting 8# per gallon.

/ Is a 5' brush hog rotary mower too big for a 3030? #7  
Gator6x4 said:
The last person I talked too about carrying 100# sacks of corn through the woods, complained about the weight of the finished product he was carrying back. Something about liquid weighting 8# per gallon.

Careful, that stuff will blind ya. :p

/ Is a 5' brush hog rotary mower too big for a 3030? #8  
Subway,

I just bought this 5' unit from TSC for $614.79 out the door. That included a $50.00 off coupon that came in the mail. So far I have about 4 hours on it and am quite happy with the way it works. Time will tell on the durability.

BTW: My tractor is 33HP and runs it without a grunt.

Good luck,

KB

Attachments

• 100_3219.JPG
    100_3219.JPG
    535.8 KB · Views: 758
  • 100_3220.JPG
    100_3220.JPG
    620.1 KB · Views: 4,331
   / Is a 5' brush hog rotary mower too big for a 3030? #9  
Its not apples to apples, but mine runs a 5 foot brush hog (old Bush Hog and JD) pretty well. It rough cuts fields just fine, but I've never cut thick brush or trees of any diameter. I have only 21 pto horsepower, 800lb lift capacity at the hitch, and I think my machine is lighter than a B3030. I do have a FEL on for front ballast though.

/ Is a 5' brush hog rotary mower too big for a 3030? #10  
a medium duty 5' rotary cutter will be fine as long as you dont try to clear cut the rain forest! I used a landpride 1542 on my B3030 and she cut like mad!