HST vs. Gear Drive

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #101  
however at my age (almost 70), if I ever bought another tractor it will be a cabbed with HST.

Yes Sir, I do believe it is your turn.;)

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #102  
There is nothing wrong with a geared tractor, it is preferred in some cases.

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #103  
There is nothing wrong with a geared tractor, it is preferred in some cases.

I don't think there is anything wrong with gear tractors generally , and I do prefer a gear tractor.

However;
The OP (Andy Z) had a specific question about a specific tractor (a B2320), for a specific use, (snow blowing/ grading ). Because a B2320 has a clutch driven PTO, I don't think it would work as well as the HST model for blowing snow. That was why I answered the way I did.

Buckgnarly pointed out that his gear machine worked well snow blowing, but he essentially has a live PTO.

The OP could choose a gear tractor with features like Buckgnarly's and blow snow with no problem.

I used to own a Ford 1920 w/ 12spd shuttle. It would also work well for Andy Z's use.

All gear tractors are not created equal.

Best, Bill

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #104  
I don't think there is anything wrong with gear tractors generally , and I do prefer a gear tractor.

However;
The OP (Andy Z) had a specific question about a specific tractor (a B2320), for a specific use, (snow blowing/ grading ). Because a B2320 has a clutch driven PTO, I don't think it would work as well as the HST model for blowing snow. That was why I answered the way I did.

Buckgnarly pointed out that his gear machine worked well snow blowing, but he essentially has a live PTO.

The OP could choose a gear tractor with features like Buckgnarly's and blow snow with no problem.

I used to own a Ford 1920 w/ 12spd shuttle. It would also work well for Andy Z's use.

All gear tractors are not created equal.

Best, Bill

Another reason I only follow/read/respond to the KUBOTA OWNERS FORUM. I've owned/own 17 Kubotas and only Kubotas. I'd feel a bit stupid answering specific questions about another brand tractor which I've never owned and operated, not just seen one or researched one or drove one on a dealers lot. Just me but there are many that follow their own path.
I don't pay attention to posts where the profile isn't filled out with at least equipment owned. A new buyer or almost buyer I'll respond to but the owned for awhile and don't fill out the profile is someone I won't respond to except maybe for the other members posting in the thread. I believe in knowing something about the responder so I can know where they're coming from. Just my :2cents:

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #105  
Another reason I only follow/read/respond to the KUBOTA OWNERS FORUM. I've owned/own 17 Kubotas and only Kubotas. I'd feel a bit stupid answering specific questions about another brand tractor which I've never owned and operated, not just seen one or researched one or drove one on a dealers lot. Just me but there are many that follow their own path.
I don't pay attention to posts where the profile isn't filled out with at least equipment owned. A new buyer or almost buyer I'll respond to but the owned for awhile and don't fill out the profile is someone I won't respond to except maybe for the other members posting in the thread. I believe in knowing something about the responder so I can know where they're coming from. Just my :2cents:

You need to branch out a little John.:D
You have enough of those orange machines. Go out and get 17 green ones, and 17 blue ones.:thumbsup:
Think of all the fun you will have. Their not all that different, it's just the paint.

Best, Bill

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #106  
You need to branch out a little John.:D
You have enough of those orange machines. Go out and get 17 green ones, and 17 blue ones.:thumbsup:
Think of all the fun you will have. Their not all that different, it's just the paint.

Best, Bill
I don't have time to follow the other forums, I spend so much of it here.:D
I doubt there is much difference, some, but probably not much, between brands. If local dealers hadn't been so far apart in pricing 11 years ago I could as likely be a green/yellow or blue supporter. The green/yellow was $3000 more and the blue was $2500 more than Barlows Orange Kubota of comparable size. I checked back after my first purchase one time and they were still so far apart that I haven't been back to the other colors. Barlow does me fair and I like his crew, seem like nice guys and really convenient location between my home and business. I've since found out Barlow is the go to guy for price all around the country but didn't know that for years. I did price shop Kubota dealers and he also beat them pretty bad. The combination of MSRP other color dealers in my location and Barlow being the lowest priced really set them apart price wise soooooo I'm a Kubota only guy.:laughing:

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #107  
I don't have time to follow the other forums, I spend so much of it here. I'm a Kubota only guy.:laughing:

Nothing wrong with that at all.

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #108  
If local dealers hadn't been so far apart in pricing 11 years ago I could as likely be a green/yellow or blue supporter. The green/yellow was $3000 more and the blue was $2500 more than Barlows Orange Kubota of comparable size.

I think you summed it up for many of us.
I have owned nine different machines, and six different brands, over the last 40 yrs. (Most were used machines) The attitude of the dealer and his willingness to deal, has had more to do with the brand of tractor I bought than the brand itself. The idea that they were doing me a favor by letting me buy their tractor, killed several sales.
It's not always about the price, but it's always about the value. This is especially true when it comes to rebranded models, as pointed out by GManBart in a couple of his posts.

You have found a dealer who you feel treats you fairly, and you like his product. That's worth a lot.

Sorry for the rant.

Best, Bill

Last edited:
   / HST vs. Gear Drive #109  
Sir, I for one appreciate your approach to this forum and I do exactly the same. I wouldnt dream of going of the John Deere forum (or any other color) and tell persons who own green tractors what they should & shouldnt do or to slam any Deere product. I certainly wouldnt be trying to sway them into buying another color because I have some angst or bias. My best friend recently bought a new Deere 5065, and it never occurred to me to convince him to buy Kubota.

Last edited:
   / HST vs. Gear Drive #110  
Sir, I for one appreciate your approach to this forum and I do exactly the same. I wouldnt dream of going of the John Deere forum (or any other color) and tell persons who own green tractors what they should & shouldnt do or to slam any Deere product. I certainly wouldnt be trying to sway them into buying another color because I have some angst or bias. My best friend recently bought a new Deere 5065, and it never occurred to me to convince him to buy Kubota.

I hope you are not suggesting that you and John feel that members that haven't owned the specific tractor being discussed shouldn't post their opinions.

There are many common features used in all tractors that operate the same way. For example a clutch driven, or live PTO is just that, no matter the color.

If you don't feel comfortable contributing to another section of this forum that is up to you, but please don't suggest that others are unqualified to do so.

If I misunderstood you, then please accept my apology.

Bill