HST vs. Gear Drive

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #1  

jas67

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610 + Kubota G1800-S
I have a 1980 B7100 w/ gear drive, and am considering purchasing B7200 with Hydrostatic Drive. Both units have front-end loaders.

Have caveats should I be aware of with the hydrostatic drive?

Are there any advantages to the gear drive over the hydrostatic?

What differences are there between the B7200 and B7100 other than the different engine, and being slightly newer?

Thanks,
jas67

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #2  
Wow.. there are monumental opinions on what is 'better'.. or the differences in gear vs hst. search some of the forums.. like owning / operating.

In short.. if you are doing lots of loader work.. or work around lots of obstacles.. HST may serve you better.

If all you do is mow an open field or pull a disc / plow all day.. then gear may be more efficient at getting hp to the ground.

soundguy

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #3  
What soundguy said. Though I'd go out on a limb and say getting the HST is a no brainer on a small tractor with a loader on it. If you have that much primary tillage etc, you'd probably be getting a bigger tractor...

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #4  
jas67 said:
IHave caveats should I be aware of with the hydrostatic drive?
Are there any advantages to the gear drive over the hydrostatic?

I've driven both a lot and can't think of anything I don't like about HST. Even just mowing the field it's nice to be able to slow up through a rough area without having to shift gears. If you're doing anything that requires going between forward and reverse, you'll love HST.

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #5  
I went from a B6200 gear to a B7610 HST. The only thing that has been a slight nuisance is trying to use the wheel brakes with the HST when maneuvering in close quarters. Other than that the HST has been great, best thing for doing FEL work, changing direction and travel speed constantly and, as mentioned previously, good for cutting grass when needing/wanting to slow down for a rough spot or to get around an obstacle. Basically gives you a live PTO, you can bring the travel speed to zero without stopping the PTO.

/ HST vs. Gear Drive
Thank you all for the info. Now I just need to think of a good reason to tell the wife that I want to by ANOTHER tractor, only a month after buying the gear-drive B7100 (I wish this B7200 HST had come up for sale a month ago....)

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #7  
Get the other, and then sell the one ya don't like?.. of course.. if you are like me.... you willlikely end up with 2 tractors..

soundguy

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #8  
what soundguy said!

Its easy to justify 2 tractors to yourself.

Harder to justify to certain female others :eek:

/ HST vs. Gear Drive
Soundguy & Charlesaf3,.

You're both funny guys! The B7100 & B7200 are too similar to need both. I only have a 1 acre property, and have a hard enough time justifying keeping one. I about the B7100 to do some one-time landscaping work, but it is very useful for yearly tasks like spreading much, and of course snow removal. The B7200 HST would be much better for snow removal, as a 3-point snow blower would be much better with the HST than the gear drive (which, of course, only has 2-speeds in reverse, too-slow, and too-fast).

I already have another Kubota, a 4-wheel steering G1800, which with all the crap (uh, stuff) I have to mow around, is a way better mowing machine for my needs than the B7100 or B7200.

I'm actually contemplating doing a little for-hire work with the B7100 (or B7200 if I buy it), like post-hole digging, tilling small gardens, and maybe small (under 3-acre) field mowing, just to justify keeping it (B7100/B7200).

/ HST vs. Gear Drive #10  
jas67 said:
Thank you all for the info. Now I just need to think of a good reason to tell the wife that I want to by ANOTHER tractor, only a month after buying the gear-drive B7100 (I wish this B7200 HST had come up for sale a month ago....)
'

Here's how you do it. Explain what you PAY TODAY is not the true cost. The cost is determined by what it can be SOLD for later on minus what was paid today.
For example, let's say your current tractor will sell for $1,000 less than you PAID for it and you owned it for 10 years. Your cost of ownership was then $100 per year (less interest not earned. ) And who would turn down a tractor for $100 per year? Especially one that makes you happy to come home?
Now, if you sell it for MORE than you paid, the tractor was not only FREE but it PAID YOU to own it.
You could then honestly explain that you wish you could buy a few more tractors so you could earn more towards your retirement and sunset years together.
This might be difficult since you owned a short time but think of some other tractor for the illustration.
I've been doing thisfor 30 years and am no longer questioned. Every tractor owner should learn this technique.