Tires filled tires vs 3PH balast box

/ filled tires vs 3PH balast box #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm getting my new L3010 w/ FEL delivered this week! I have been trying to decide how to solve the rear balast problem. I get conflicting recommendations from local dealers wrt filling the tires with calcium chloride and using a balast box hung off the 3-point hitch. I like the fact that I can remove the rear balast box during the wet season. But filled tires are are safer for use with the FEL since the weight is more distributed across the rear axle. But a CaCl leak can be bad news given how corrosive it is. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Fernbank

/ filled tires vs 3PH balast box #2  
Well, I think you've pretty much wrapped up the problem there. The filled tires are more desirable from a CG standpoint, but are more or less permanent. Sure you can drain them in the wet season, but it's a pain.

So maybe you can split the difference. Instead of CaCl, use something more benign (and lighter), like plain water or windshield fluid. This will serve your ballast needs "most" of the time, and maybe won't make the tractor too heavy for the wet season. When you need a little more ballast, then you can add the external weight. You could still use the CaCl, just don't fill up to the 75% level; go 50% (or whatever).

/ filled tires vs 3PH balast box
GlueGuy,

Thanks for the response. I'll check into the windshield fluid idea. That might be a good compromise.

Are there folks out there with L3010's and a FEL that are not using any rear ballast? Or is this just totally unsafe?

Fernbank

/ filled tires vs 3PH balast box #4  
If you are leary of the calcium there is a new ballast for the tires called rim gaurd its supposed to be 100% non corrosive, I would think your dealer would have more info on this.
With filled tires this leaves your three point free and I have found that even with using rear mounted implements the tractor performs better, with the filled tires (more stability and less spin out) I would also say unless of course you are trying to do double duty such as yard work where gouging the yard is undesirable. Tim

/ filled tires vs 3PH balast box #5  
I have a 3710 with washer fluid in the tires and I use a 72 inch box blade. I still don't know if it's enough weight because I can still bring the rear off the ground using the FEL against stumps.

/ filled tires vs 3PH balast box #6  
Get a real ballast box and forget the weighted tires, I have the weight box and have never lifted the rear wheels when using the FEL.

Sure the tires add weight but they add it to the front and back both and dont change the center of gravity nearly as much as the weight box loaded down on the 3PH.

/ filled tires vs 3PH balast box
Steve and WDN,

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go with the ballast box for starters and see how it goes. I really like the ability to remove the weight.

Thanks,

Fernbank