Help! BX-23 Barely Running (extremely rough)

/ Help! BX-23 Barely Running (extremely rough) #1  

kwasimoto

Hello All,

I've been off the forum for a while, but am in need of help with a major issue on my BX-23.

I started to mow the lawn the other day, and everything was fine for the first 1/2 hour then the machine started running rough. I didn稚 think much of it, because I was almost finished, and put the machine away.

Yesterday evening, I started to mow again, and this time the roughness started after about 4-5 minutes. There is barely any power when it happens, and after shutting down for a break, it corrected itself after startup for about 1 minute before starting again. I was at wide open throttle, and mowing as I normally do.

The machine has 120 hours on it, and I am quite happy with it, but now with it running rough, the power reduction is extreme. It is smoking more when this occurs, running rough almost like 1 cylinder isn't firing. I have checked all of the basics, oil, air filter, and fuel level. Does anyone have any similar experience? I know the engine on these is one of the most reliable, so I am perplexed why 1 cylinder would stop firing. I am good with mechanics, but have no experience with diesels, so I don't want to mess anything up by opening the fuel pump or anything else needlessly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

(last payment goes to Kubota next month, isn稚 timing great!)

Mike

/ Help! BX-23 Barely Running (extremely rough) #2  
Unless you have a fuel injector clogged you are probably running on all cylinders. Diesel engines do not "fire" so to speak, they ignite the fuel by compression. Being that it doesn't happen straight off I would venture to guess it's not an injector which should be more consistant with not working properly.

May want to check your fuel filters. Also a small piece of of something could be in your fuel tank and getting sucked over the hole for fuel delivery causing a restriction. Could this also be air related? Maybe your air filter need a good cleaning?

/ Help! BX-23 Barely Running (extremely rough) #3  
I had a somilar problem all I did to fix it was change BOTH fuel filters My manual only showed one I changed it still same problem called dealer he said did I change both I said what both manual says one he said manual is wrong do both.

I did by a spare and changed the second one and it purred like a kitten

tommu

PS There isn't any shut off on bottom of tank to stop fuel flow

/ Help! BX-23 Barely Running (extremely rough) #4  
Everytime my BX2200 has had these symptoms, changing the fuel filter under the floor has fixed the problem, haven't had to change the one under the hood. Doesn't take much to plug the small filter.

/ Help! BX-23 Barely Running (extremely rough) #5  
Ditto on the fuel filters. Presumably you are running WOT when mowing. I've posted this before but I had the same problem you are having. I was mowing wide open throttle and my BX2200 would die off to an idle then back up then back to idle or stall. Replacing both filters took care of it. One of your filters may have algae in it. Once that starts growing it clogs the filter up in no time. Change the filters. $10 and your all set.

/ Help! BX-23 Barely Running (extremely rough) #6  
Don't forget to clamp off fuel line between tank and filter underneath deck :D

/ Help! BX-23 Barely Running (extremely rough) #7  
Had the exact symptoms i posted last year or so.Changed both filters no change,changed clamps no change.DUmped 1/2 bottle of power service in tank,because i suspected water-problem solved.Ichanged to plastic cans and a different fuel supply never a problem since.
ALAN

/ Help! BX-23 Barely Running (extremely rough) #8  
kwasimoto said:
Hello All,

I have checked all of the basics, oil, air filter, and fuel level. Does anyone have any similar experience? I know the engine on these is one of the most reliable, so I am perplexed why 1 cylinder would stop firing. I am good with mechanics, but have no experience with diesels, so I don't want to mess anything up by opening the fuel pump or anything else needlessly.

Mike

How did you check the air filter? Or the fuel filter?

Plugged up air intake or filter could cause this, especially if it's putting out a lot of black smoke,that would be the first thing I'd look at, go ahead and change the filter. Has it been sitting? Condensation in fuel tank could be a problem, or just bad fuel, it happens.Then I'd change fuel filters, replace fuel, bleed injectors.