Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor.

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #31  
I have been mowing with the BX24 and 54" MMM for about a year and the novelty has officially worn off. I have to say that I found the procedure too onerous to continue.

I fully understand.

Mowing is a time consuming effort for me. I have almost 4.5 acres of varied terrain that I grind out using a riding mower until funds permit an upgrade - and we'll be clearing another 3+ acres to field.

That said, I will always choose to have a dedicated lawn mowing machine. I want to sit in the seat, turn it on, cut the lawn, turn it off, and exit the seat. I have little time and less patience to fiddle around with a mower attachment. It seems that I am always pressed for time either before I start or after I finish. Plus, I am usually tired and/or distracted at both ends of the effort.

I also feel that mowing is a major abuser of equipment. Unless you have a golf course lawn, the bumps, the rock and tree hits, the holes, the dips, the slopes, and the grass itself most certainly hammer the best equipment out there. Add HST and the speed at which you hit all of these obstacles increases thereby increasing the abuse factor.

I would not want to rely on a piece of equipment that also cuts grass - and vice versa. Down time for repairs could turn a yard into 18" hay, or leave me without a tractor at a crucial time.

For me, two machines is the minimum: one for grass and one for everything else. Ideally, the "everything else machine" would be a TLB. For grass, my first and only choice would be the F3680 with a cab so it could double as our snow blower. I really like the front deck design of the F-series mower and the massive, 72" deck. Plus, access to the under side of the deck for cleaning and for blade sharpening or replacement is unmatched.

As for a TLB, the BX24 is fabulous. My next door neighbor owns one. It's impressive. For us and our acreage, the B26 is my target. I need more ground clearance, more lift capability, and a hydraulic thumb for a lot of rock wall work.

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #32  
The Gardener said:

1*I have been mowing with the BX24 and 54" MMM
2*Mowing is a time consuming effort for me.
3*I have almost 4.5 acres of varied terrain that I grind out using a riding mower.
4*we'll be clearing another 3+ acres to field.
5*I want to sit in the seat, turn it on, cut the lawn, turn it off, and exit the seat.
6* I have little time and less patience to fiddle around with a mower attachment.
7*For me, two machines is the minimum
one for grass and one for everything else.
8*Ideally, the "everything else machine" would be a TLB. 9*For grass, my first and only choice would be the F3680 with a cab so it could double as our snow blower.
10*As for a TLB, the BX24 is fabulous.

1*My BX23 with 60'' MMM does a great job mowing on my 2.33A.
2*With 4.5a why did you go with the 54'' mmm over the 60'' mmm?
The 60 incher would have speeded things up some.
3*Why do you use a riding mower when you could be using the BX24 with a 54'' mower?
4*If you're fed up with mowing the 4.5a why are you adding another 3a to it?
5*I do exactly that with the BX23 and the BX1500 both.
6*I leave the 60'' mmm on the BX23 and the 48'' mmm on the BX1500.
No fiddling around with any mower attachments that way.
7*I agree an for me 3 is even better.
1 for mowing loader and BH stuff.
1 for front blade and tiller work.
1 for mowing and 3 point attachments.
8* that's my BX23.
9*for grass it's the BX23 & BX1500.
10*Love my BX23.

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #33  
3*Why do you use a riding mower when you could be using the BX24 with a 54'' mower?

You mistook my colored insert as being my words. I copied the BX24 with a 54" mower comment from the original post by the fellow that began the thread. I don't own a BX24.

4*If you're fed up with mowing the 4.5a why are you adding another 3a to it?

I love our 4.5 acres, and we're very excited to re-open 3 more acres of woods back to field. It's an old, over grown farm. You inadvertantly confused some of my comments with statements from other posts. I never used the words "fed up" in any of my posts.

I'm actually very happy :) though I do look forward to owning a Kubota F3680 w/ a cab, some day, to replace the riding lawn mower.

We are in full agreement that owning multiplie tractors is the best of all worlds. I'd like to be in that situation. My dream scenario is maximum seat time and minimal equipment handling. I'm not lazy. I just love the convenience of job specific tools ... albeit an unlikely scenario for me and most others when we're talking about Kubotas as tools.

The Gardener

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #34  
The Gardener said:
========= You mistook my colored insert as being my words. I copied the BX24 with a 54" mower comment from the original post by the fellow that began the thread. I don't own a BX24.
=============I thought I might have been a little confused on that,
Now I know I was.

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #35  
I don' t know what the deck's are like on the BX, but the '98 B7100 HST I just bought has a quick-detach 60" MMM that comes off and goes back on in minutes. I wish the deck came off and back on my G1800S so easily (it isn't much worse though).

I didn't realize before I got it home, but the Woods 145 FEL is a quick-detach as well! This might actually make this a decent mowing machine too :D

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #36  
rdsaustintx said:
That's it.

If you have THAT much BH work, no point in worrying about the lawn anyway.

After I get my utilities and grading finished, my BX will more-or-less become a dedicated mower.
Mowing is a small part of my BX23s task ! ! !

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #37  
I keep the deck on the whole summer; using dirt scoop with the deck on. If I really have I will take it off, but it is not such a huge effort - disconnect in three places and shaft and drive over the deck. Sweet, if you ask me, since I am comparing to the pain of Sears 42" lawn tractor. that was to be fixed once a week.