Kubota Grass Catcher

/ Kubota Grass Catcher #1  

DEERFIELD

Tractor
BX2350
Lately, we have considered adding a Kubota Grass Catcher to our BX2350 and 60" deck as well as comparing (from a cost and performance perspective) alternative products/methods to collect grass clippings and, most importantly, leaves, such as products from DR and Cyclone Rake.

Efficient leaf collection is the major concern. Last fall and this Spring, using a Stihl backpack blower and hand raking, we filled a total of 130, 32 galloon trash containers with leaves. Transport to the local landfill (12 mile RT) of 9 containers each trip is time consumming and costly (fuel, landfill access sticker, etc.). In addition, our landfill is accessible at what are, perhaps, the most inconvenient possible days and time.

Several TBN threads indicate the Kubota Grass catcher performs reasonably well gathering leaves, but the bags fill rapidly. However, the $1850 price tag in this area, while somewhat expensive, is not prohibitive as alternative products are in the same price range.

Of concern with the Kubota Grass Catcher is that the impeller is PLASTIC, as opposed to a steel impeller/shredder on the alternative products. Acorns, twigs and small dead branches are routine on my lot-and for a retail of $1850 for the unit it seems a steel impeller/shredder would yield a better result, last longer and shred leaves more efficiently and to smaller size. For example, DR's collection system claims a 10:1 reduction; Kubota info offers no similar claim.

Any thoughts/comments from TBN members experienced with leaf collection using the Kubota Grass catcher with PLASTIC impeller would be appreciated. Comments addressing the durability and efficiency of the plastic impeller AFTER a season of leaf collection/shredding are of particular interest.

/ Kubota Grass Catcher #2  
I have a 3030 with a 72" deck which Kubota does not have any grass catching attachment for. I'm also looking at DR and Cyclone rake. If I was you I would go with one of those systems especially with how many leaves you have. I would check with both companies and find out if you tractor would work with ether one. Heck both of the power vacumms hold over 300 pounds of SHREADED LEAVES. They even have a bagging system if you have to take them to the dump. Man I wish you lived in western pa because I would allow you to dump them on my property. The leaves, grass and a little bit of cow manure makes great compost.

Let me know what you find out.

/ Kubota Grass Catcher #3  
My next door neighbor has the largest cyclone rake for her BX2200. It works nicely but is best suited for open lawn because its big! Its probably about like driving a full size pickup around your lawn minus the weight. Also, it doesn't pivot in a turn, it swings wide like a rotary mower.

/ Kubota Grass Catcher #4  
I've got the Kubota grass catcher with plastic impellar for my BX 2200. I haven't experienced any durability issues with the impeller--and yes I have sticks and acorns. The capacity is lacking at about 9 bushels, so alot of time is spent hopping on and off the tractor to empty the leaves. That said it does a good job.

I'm also looking for a catcher as I'm trading my BX2200 for a B7800, I like the Cyclone Rake because of its capacity but am concerned that my yard isn't conducive to its design :(

/ Kubota Grass Catcher #5  
There are plenty of past posts on this topic. I researched and read all of them before i purchased the cyclone rake. I got their latest one, the cyclone rake XL. I probably have double the amount of leaves to bag as you and a lot of trees to manuver around so the cyclone rake is a pain sometimes to swing it around, but it does an excelent job. I thought about the DR too but the cyclone rake held more, and after the fall it folds up real nice. The CR has some special plastic impeller too and i have sucked up a lot of stuf i shouldnt of have and had not had any issues. It is made to give a little instead of bending like a metal propeller. The DR claims a 10:1 reduction of leaves @ BEST, and i called CR on it too and the said theirs is a 10:1 too. Its amazing how much the CR XL holds too and it mulches extreamly well. I am very impressed with the unit. If it broke tomorrow i would immediately buy another, even thought it better not! lol.

Here are some searches....

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/110207-leaf-collecting-bx23-cr-way.html?highlight=bx%2A+leaf

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/98365-bx2350-bagger.html?highlight=bx%2A+leaf+collection

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/90136-leaf-pickup-what-worked-best.html?highlight=bx%2A+leaf+collection

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/115012-bx-cost-effective-grass-clipping.html?highlight=bx%2A+leaf

/ Kubota Grass Catcher #6  
I have the BX grass catcher and am happy with it. I chose this one because it is PTO driven, no loud extra engine, and it hooks to the tractor and is not a trailer type so it's easy to get around with. I looked at the TracVac that also mounts to the TPH and has caster wheels and two large cans for collection, it holds more than the Kubota and one other advantage to this TracVac is that I could use it on another tractor if I decided to trade. I chose the Kubota because I don't intend to get rid of my BX, and it was several hundred dollars less than the TracVac. I like the Kubota and it does a really good job, just wish it held more. It's really easy to get on and off since I modified it to fit the lower TPH arms when they are in the stationary position for mowing. Here's the thread where I made the modification to make it easy to put on and take off..

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/87494-bagger-install.html

Last edited:
   / Kubota Grass Catcher #7  
I have heavy tree cover on about 1 acre of lawn. I suck up EVERYTHING...sticks, acorns, the odd rock, limbs with leaves, LOADS of dead leaves...and the odd blade of grass.

The biggest downside is getting a small twig stuck sideways in the "chute", blocking everything up. This forces you to stop the operation, clear the tube, and get going again...a 45 second process that leaves some leaves (ha) in your glove.

Regarding impeller durability, I haven't seen the first issue with that. It is very tough and after 2 hard fall seasons of leaf collection as well as sucking everything up when I first purchased the rig, there are no 'major' scars on the impeller. It looks like it could easily endure another dozen years of service with no issue at all.

As far as shredding the leaves, I've found that to be directly proportional to HOW you suck up the leaves. The first run you make into the yard (full deck width) will fill the bags quickly. But I've found that on subsequent passes, if you can cut the half deck width to the left side of the deck (away from the chute), the other two blades will chop the leaves into smaller bits, extending your dump time. Also, going a little slower helps.

The bagger's function is to suck and bag...not to mascerate into itty-bitty bits. If DR claims that, it sure sounds great...but with higher tolerance parts would come more maintenance, I would think. The Kubota bagger works great for me.

/ Kubota Grass Catcher #8  
Also when the leaves are really dry that impeller spining at a high rpm as it does just smashes it it even smaller pieces. So between the deck cutting, and the impeller the reduction is good.

/ Kubota Grass Catcher #9  
I concur with what KeithInSpace said.

I bought mine exclusively for leaves...not grass. I don't have maneuvering space for a tow-behind. I like Kubota's build quality...and don't expect to replace anything anytime soon...:D The 3 bags are a shortcoming (I wish Kubota offered the European dump model in the US), but I was already familiar with the 3-bagger...having had it on an earlier John Deere 318.

/ Kubota Grass Catcher
Thanks to each for taking the time to reply expressing their opinion and experience. Most helpful and sincerely appreciated.