Mowing Tractor Size For 15' HD Batwing Mower

/ Tractor Size For 15' HD Batwing Mower #1  

NH92654

What size or model tractor is best for pulling a 15' Batwing mower and do you think a 4 wheel drive with lesser HP will do as good as a larger 2 wheel drive with more HP?

/ Tractor Size For 15' HD Batwing Mower #2  
i saw it recommdened to get 4WD if you have any variations in terrain - rough ground, steep slopes, wet areas. i'm glad i listened to that advice, the 4WD has made a tremendous difference in mowing. and it's already come in handy for pulling trees too. had zero plans for that, but worked great.

doesn't make sense, but mine doesn't really seem to slow the tractor down anything noticeable by having it in 4WD verses 2WD, which is why i guess so many people just say they leave it in 4WD all the time as long as they aren't on hard surfaces/pavement.

if yours is completely flat, then sorry to bore you!

if you don't get any responses you can probably look up the PTO hp requirement for the equipment you want, since you know exactly what it is, and see what kind of PTO hp the tractors have that you're looking.

good luck!

/ Tractor Size For 15' HD Batwing Mower #3  
Rhino and Jd recommend minimum of 55-60 hp for their 15' batwing mowers. I think that is marginal. I recently bought a 15' JD and run it on a tractor with 125 hp and it cuts anything reasonable without trouble. In my use, I would take a 2 wd with more hp, rather than 4wd with less hp. In my use 4wd just isn't need and the hp is more desireable. If it is muddy and I need 4wd, then I shouldn't be mowing anyway. Duals are preferred if mowing steep hills or ditches or at least set the single rear tires to widest width. My tractor does not have duals. The tires are relatively narrow and set for 30" row crops. It feels unsteady on steeper slopes and I either don't mow them or come back later with 6' 3pt mower on smaller tractor. I have minimal steep hillsides. On roadsides, I just hang the wing off the edge of the road with steeper sides. I don't care about mowing the whole ditch around my property.

Most of the state use roadway tractors I see are MFWD in the 100 pto hp range. My state leases most of their mowing tractors for 1 year. Most are MFWD because in the bigger hp, most tractors are MFWD and the dealer resale is better of MFWD. MFWD allows ability to go through ditches and ruts better. Also helps with the muddy spots. Most don't have duals but again duals are not common in tractors with MFWD of this size. If you have the hp, go MFWD.

/ Tractor Size For 15' HD Batwing Mower #4  
Our 15' Woods Batwing used to be pulled by a 55HP (2wd) tractor and from what I understand, it struggled. We now pull it with an 85HP (2wd) tractor and it has no problems with it. We don't mow anything over waist-high, its used more like an over-sized lawn mower without the finish cut. The 85HP was set up on 30" rows and now its set to pull a 4-18" plow, tires are set MUCH wider and you feel tons more stable on slopes, but less stable mowing next to steep creek banks.

No matter which tractor you decide- consider a Fasse Valve for the remote, we can operate each wing independantly or together and use the other remote valve for lifting the base unit up/down.

Good Luck!!

/ Tractor Size For 15' HD Batwing Mower #5  
I got a new M9540 with cab in November. It pulls my 15 ft. very well. You will have to decide the type of mowing you do (grass, tall grass, brush, or really nasty stuff).
I have friends pulling a 15 ft. with 60 HP and they say it does fine for what they are mowing.

As far as 2WD or 4WD there is no comparison. It does not matter how much horsepower you have if your wheels are spinning. The 4WD will put more power to the ground than a 2WD. If you plan on any type of ground engagement equipment then you need 4WD. If you plan on a FEL you need 4WD. (Think about a heavy load in a FEL, there is less weight on the back wheels)

OK, OK, I am stuck on 4WD, I know. I was given some very good advice years ago when I bought one and now I will never own another 2WD tractor.
Good luck in your search! Shopping for tractors is fun. Let us know what you get.
( pictures of new tractors are mandatory):)

/ Tractor Size For 15' HD Batwing Mower #6  
I used to pull a 15' Woods 3180 with a 108hp non turbo Case 4x4. Weight wise, that tractor was pretty heavy for pasture duty and would damage them. I never ran out of power even when taking out hedgerows with 2 or 3" saplings. Low gears are a must for the heavy stuff.

I question using only around 60hp for a 15' mower. I would think overheating would be an issue.

When it comes to tractors, one size does not fit all uses perfectly. Something to consider is a used tractor dedicated for the mowing. Big power goes fairly cheap compared to a new ~50-60hp tractor or even a new 80hp tractor.

Nor would I buy a brand new batwing that is going to quickly loose that "new" look.

/ Tractor Size For 15' HD Batwing Mower
Many thanks to everyone for all the comments. We decided to go with the M8540 4WD, Cab, Air & Hydraulic Shuttle. Recommendations on my Woods mower is from 45 to 160 HP. Been pulling it with an open air 59/55 HP so the M8540 with 84/75 should be an improvement.

Again, many thanks I appreciate your help. How could we get by without the Internet?

/ Tractor Size For 15' HD Batwing Mower #8  
I have been pulling a BushHog 2615 this week in 90+ temps with my M7040 with the A/C on mowing pastures that the grass is about 2' high and I can't even get the temp gauge to get to the half way mark. I don't let anything get 3' high and super thick, so I get by just fine with my 7040.

/ Tractor Size For 15' HD Batwing Mower #9  
I'd recommend 85PTO hp minimum.

2WD is fine if you know your limitations. 4WD is better if you can afford it.

Amen to the extra hydraulics to operate it.