I think I'll build a brush guard

/ I think I'll build a brush guard #1  

Modn

Silver Member
Tractor
MF4707 Deluxe Cab
Just so you know I have had the tractor just over a month and it has 29 hours on it and loving it.

So I'm out cutting wood out back and pulled up to a tree that was leaning/partially uprooted and needed to be taken (about 12") no problem. So I drop the tree and hook the chain to it and to the forks on my tractor and proceed to pull it out to a somewhat more clear area to cut it to 9' lengths to take it back to my house. I get it where I want it and pull forward to loosen the chain and here an awfull grinding noise. I quickly kill the motor and proceed to get off and walk to the front. Antifreeze/coolant is dumping on the ground and I see a 1-1/2" log/tree sticking out of the front!!:mad: It came with the other tree and of course I didn't see it at all. I don't know how, but it missed the hydraulic cooler and pushed the radiator into the fan. I just happened to have a ratchet strap and hooked it to the radiator (junk anyway) and and to the guard on the front and pulled it back off the fan. I waited until it cooled off completely and drove it back, roughly 1000-1500' to the shop (stopped 3 times on the way). So the order list is 1-radiator, 1-radiator shroud. It pushed out the grille screen cleanly but I can put that back and it bent up the screen just in front of the radiator but I can staighten that out and put it back. The bad news is the radiator is $530ish :eek: Sooooo when I get it back together I am going to fab a brush guard of some sort and bolt it to the front bumper guard as I would probably unbolt it for winter when I might use my lights since it will be dark early. Any other suggestions???? I guess I got the 1st dent/scratch deal done with!!!!

/ I think I'll build a brush guard #2  
A nice machine like that deserves the genuine Kubota guard. Maybe even take it down to the chrome shop to doll it up a bit. Add some flash.
:D

/ I think I'll build a brush guard
dannydan3 said:
A nice machine like that deserves the genuine Kubota guard. Maybe even take it down to the chrome shop to doll it up a bit. Add some flash.
:D

It has it, but it just isn't enough for the woods I guess. I'm working on a design right now.

/ I think I'll build a brush guard #4  
I see by your signature you have a 3 Point Hitch Split Fire. I've used a self powered Split fire for many years that I rent and I've been very impressed with it. I'm thinking of buying a 3 PH version though. How do you like yours and if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it? Thanks.

/ I think I'll build a brush guard #5  
Hi Modn,

I have a grapple and was afraid I would put a limb thru the radiator while pushing debris. I got some expanded metal and welded it to the brush guard. In the months since I made it, I have seen dents in the expended metal...so I know it has done it's job.

Attachments

• Tractor Brush Guard 2-4-08 004.jpg
    Tractor Brush Guard 2-4-08 004.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 753
Botabill said:
I see by your signature you have a 3 Point Hitch Split Fire. I've used a self powered Split fire for many years that I rent and I've been very impressed with it. I'm thinking of buying a 3 PH version though. How do you like yours and if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it? Thanks.

I am still waiting for my remote to come in so I can actually use it, so I can't tell you a thing about it other than it sure looks good sitting there!!!:D I have some really nasty Maple waiting for it. I sure will see if it will be good as the pieces I have will be all I will ever put through it that nasty. $1100 for the splitter which has the remote hoses also.

Redbug said:
Hi Modn,

I have a grapple and was afraid I would put a limb thru the radiator while pushing debris. I got some expanded metal and welded it to the brush guard. In the months since I made it, I have seen dents in the expended metal...so I know it has done it's job.

I sure am glad to hear that as I just got done welding and painting mine with expanded metal I had hanging around. I was wondering if the expandable metal would be enough as I basically pushed this limb until I heard the fan hitting the radiator...(didn't see it) but I figured if welded/bolted enough that the tractor would spin before it perforated it...hopefully!! I would rather bash some expanded metal than replace a radiator. I was designing a bolt on and just figured I should just do it permanently as I would probably need it when I least expected it. Did you put yours behind the tubes? That looks like a nice job. I never thought of that but mine turned out fine and will be totally functional also. I sure do not want to spend $500ish every time I go into the woods as I will be broke in no time....like I am now!!!

/ I think I'll build a brush guard #8  
Redbug said:
Hi Modn,

Great idea with the expanded metal.

/ I think I'll build a brush guard #9  
I've some damage from the front with small sticks poking small holes in the fiberglass front with all the little holes in it. It seems the battery protects the lower part of the raidator pertty good. I think I'll also go with the expanded metal on the brush guard.
The most trouble I've had is sticks coming in from the back and pushing the bottom of the radiator forward until the bottom plastic end cap cracks. I have been able to repair it twice, but haven't come up with and idea to prevent it from happening again.

/ I think I'll build a brush guard #10  
My method for those of you that want to do the same thing. I unbolted the brush guard from the tractor, and postioned it on the shop floor. Then I "C" clamped the expanded metal to the guard and traced the outline I wanted with a magic marker. I cut the metal, reclamped it to the guard and welded it to the frame and tubes of the guard. It probably took a couple hours futzing around to get it done. Then I painted it.

Modn, I welded mine to the front of the tubes and guard.