Cleaned my tractor

/ Cleaned my tractor #1  

smallfarmer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubot BX2350
A lousy mullberry-eating bird krapped on the hood of my tractor while it was parked in the barn. I saw it a few hours later but some damage was already done. There is a faint outline on the hood from the splat. Washing it and a coat of Turtlewax cleaner/wax didn't get rid of all of it.
Until now, I hadn't really thought of it but I want to protect my BX from additional assaults and the road salt this winter when I clear the drive etc.
Most of the liquid cleaners and magic elixers on the market specify not for use on plastic, so I'd like to hear from everybody what they use or a recommendation.
I've only had my BX a few months and it does make sense to have something between the paint or plastic and the weather.

/ Cleaned my tractor #3  
I've been told by a dealer that Armoral or Aerospace 303 (I think it's called) are good choices for the plastic parts.

Oh, and when I get bird crap on my cars/truck, I use a paper towel soaked in water and leave it over the spot for 10 minutes or so. It rehydrates the you know what and it will clean right off after that.

/ Cleaned my tractor #4  
Hmm, I've had a bird dropping on my hood for about a week now. I guess I'm screwed.

/ Cleaned my tractor #5  
Rayco, your wife will probably want you to take that jacket off soon. :D

/ Cleaned my tractor
The bird stuff washed off ok, it's what it did to the surface while it was on there. It seems like the mulberry "residue" is much more acidic than regular "residue" and it etched into the hood a bit so thats what I want to avoid in the future.
BTW it sounds like Rayco might have encountered the mystical "Foo Bird".

/ Cleaned my tractor #7  
smallfarmer said:
The bird stuff washed off ok, it's what it did to the surface while it was on there. It seems like the mulberry "residue" is much more acidic than regular "residue" and it etched into the hood a bit so thats what I want to avoid in the future.
BTW it sounds like Rayco might have encountered the mystical "Foo Bird".

I suggest you get yourself one of those small steel sheds. Tell the shed contractor to move your machine into the shed after the frame has been erected. Then advise him to "omit" the shed door prior to finishing the structure.

This should solve your [tractor] issues I believe.
:cool:

/ Cleaned my tractor #8  
I also have a JD gator CX and it has plastic body parts. Just the way they come. Haven't had bird doo problem as described, but have had self inflected issue. Took a while to figure where the little white speckles that were hard to get off and when removed left pock marks or pitting in the plastic surface. This happened twice with major coverage to the hood and dash.

It turns out that it was over-spray from people applying the Backwoods Off that I was carrying in the Gator. You don't notice some things around the Campfire until its too late.

/ Cleaned my tractor
OK, so does anybody know which plastic Kubota uses for the hood, fenders, etc.?
Is there any protective value in the "wash and wax" liquid car washes?

/ Cleaned my tractor #10  
Not much protective value from the wash and wax stuff. It's more of a gimick to sell more stuff. It's better than nothing mind you, but use the rub on if you want protection. I'm about to wax my 5100 this week since the pecan sap is starting up pretty well this year. Even though the tractor sits under a shead, it's tough to stay away from the stuff when working in an orchard...

Yeah I get laughed at a lot, but a new looking machine sells quicker and trades higher than one that looks like it went through the ringer around here...