Ballast B2710 - Rear Ballast for Loader Work

/ B2710 - Rear Ballast for Loader Work #1  

DRFoster

Tractor
Kubota B2710
I finally took delivery of my B2710 w/402 loader and snowblower this week! So far, so good. I do have a question about rear ballast and loader work. My dealer filled the rear tires with calcium chloride. So far in doing loader work, I've left the snowblower on for additional rear ballast. Question: Will I have sufficient rear ballast (with the filled tires) if I remove the snowblower for loader work? The area I'm working on is around a garage with some tight access. So far, I haven't banged into anything, but with that honkin blower on the back, its only a matter of time. This is my first tractor so I'm still learning these things. In talking with my dealer, he said it would be OK without the blower but he recommended leaving it on. I was just wondering what other's opinions are on this.

/ B2710 - Rear Ballast for Loader Work #2  
It'll just depend entirely on how heavy a load you try to lift with that front end loader. Ballast in the form of an implement on the back is always a good idea (if you have room to work with it on there). I generally use my box blade for that purpose. But sometimes when working in tight places, or with light loads, like cleaning the manure out a barn, I don't use anything. With a little experience, you'll soon get the feel for whether you really need extra weight on the back end; just lift slowly so you don't pick up the back wheels accidentally before you learn.

Bird

/ B2710 - Rear Ballast for Loader Work #3  
I bought a 3 point mounted carryall from TSC for $69, then built a wooden platform on it. I use it to carry water out to the pasture for the horses, but it is also a great way to have adjustable ballast for the loader. I use tube sand bags like they sell to put in the bed of pickup trucks to add weight to the rear end in winter, and put in 1,2,4,6 whatever I need to ballast off the front loader. Whole thing costs under $100 if you have to buy the lumber, and it is fairly small so is not too bad for manuverability.

/ B2710 - Rear Ballast for Loader Work
PaulB, I like your idea. Question: What/where is TSC? Can I contact them via the web to order this?

/ B2710 - Rear Ballast for Loader Work #6  
Thanks Bird, I was off line for a while. Go where Bird said, click on the tractor, then go to 3 point implements to see what a carryall looks like. I think Kingkutter also makes one, and I think their web address is kingkutter.com

I never can figure out how to make one of them there blue http things, but I will try http://www.kingkutter.com

/ B2710 - Rear Ballast for Loader Work #7  
I MOUNTED 275 LBS OF WEIGHT LIFTING WEIGHTS ON EACH WHEEL.THIS TOTALS 550 LBS ON THE REAR WHEELS WHICH I NEVER TAKE OFF. I GOT TIRED OF WATCHING OUT FOR THE WEIGHT BOX I HAD HANGING OFF THE THREE POINT HITCH.

/ B2710 - Rear Ballast for Loader Work #8  
A fitting end...

Not too long ago I stopped by a gentlemen putting around on his tractor, was out in the boonies in the Jeep and asked some directions. Probably didn't need them but it's a good way to start a conversation. I really wanted to see what he was using for ballast on his older bigger-than-my-L35 tractor.

It was the engine out of his old farm truck, a straight 6, even the carburetor was still on it. He said he drained the oil, let it drip for a few days, turned it a bunch of ways to get everything out and made some brackets to hang it on is three point. He liked the idea that his old truck was STILL helping him out. His face really lit up when he talked about that truck, I think he said it was a 53 or so Ford. Reason I bring it up is he also mentioned in the barn he has no room with a big implement on the back. He had a bunch of those implements will all kinds of weird metal discs that were way behind the tractor. Others that I couldn't figure out but didn't want to give him 20 questions to answer. I'll have to find my landpride catalog and do some book learnin'! [smile}

del

/ B2710 - Rear Ballast for Loader Work #9  
Re: A fitting end...

Now that I must say is recycling at its best!!! I have seen quite a few items used for ballast but never an old six banger./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Anything that can add weight sure helps and its always best to use what you already have in stock rather than have to buy it.
How much ballast is to much on a compact tractor---if I ever find out I'll surly let you know. More ballast more traction, more stability===more work done and safer as well./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ B2710 - Rear Ballast for Loader Work #10  
Re: A fitting end...

You know you've got too much ballast when turning the steering wheel doesn't seem to make you turn, and looking down you see the front tires are not leaving any "tracks" in the lawn! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif