How Long for Calcium Chloride Rust-Through?

/ How Long for Calcium Chloride Rust-Through? #1  

AndyinIowa

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2350
I've read a lot of people set against CaCl for ballast due to corrosion. At the same time, the only personal experiences I have with fluid filled tires leads me to believe that most rims will take 15+ years to corrode to the point of causing downtime.

Is the 15 year number typical for what everyone else is seeing? My FIL's 8N has over 23 years without problems. I haven't seen any rust-through problems with rims built since 1992...

IowaAndy

/ How Long for Calcium Chloride Rust-Through? #2  
AndyinIowa said:
I've read a lot of people set against CaCl for ballast due to corrosion. At the same time, the only personal experiences I have with fluid filled tires leads me to believe that most rims will take 15+ years to corrode to the point of causing downtime.

Is the 15 year number typical for what everyone else is seeing? My FIL's 8N has over 23 years without problems. I haven't seen any rust-through problems with rims built since 1992...

IowaAndy
The rims can't corrode if the CaCl isn't leaking from the tube. It is as simple as that.

/ How Long for Calcium Chloride Rust-Through? #3  
15yrs min sounds about right. The 2010 has tubes, but little leaks occur so the rims stayed wet w CaCl for many yrs. Lots of corrosion but still plenty strong. I cleaned and painted them when I replaced tires&tubes 10yrs ago.
larry

/ How Long for Calcium Chloride Rust-Through? #4  
If they filled the tire up so that the fluid is OVER the rim top on the inside they will last a LONG time even without a tube. As long as no oxygen gets to the metal no rust can happen. Maybe air up with Nitrogen only>? Lots of tractors with fill in them for 30-60 years and still holding air.

/ How Long for Calcium Chloride Rust-Through? #5  
20 years for my Uncle's L2250.