My new kubota is a dieselholic!!

/ My new kubota is a dieselholic!! #1  

mark2610d

Silver Member
Tractor
L3240HSTC
My new 3240hstc seems to guzzle up diesel like it's going out of style! . I using 1.6 gallons per hour while mowing with a woods prd7200 mower at pto speed. In normal grass that I've mowed many time before with my 3430hstc.

Just as a comparison my 3430hstc used only 1.1 gallons per hour with a sitrex 6' finish mower. Do you folks think it's the woods mower is making it drink more fuel or is it just the new hydro transmission eating up more fuel?
Could it be not broke-in good doing it?

Anybody?

Mark 08 3240hstc

/ My new kubota is a dieselholic!! #2  
mark2610d said:
My new 3240hstc seems to guzzle up diesel like it's going out of style! . I using 1.6 gallons per hour while mowing with a woods prd7200 mower at pto speed. In normal grass that I've mowed many time before with my 3430hstc.

Just as a comparison my 3430hstc used only 1.1 gallons per hour with a sitrex 6' finish mower. Do you folks think it's the woods mower is making it drink more fuel or is it just the new hydro transmission eating up more fuel?
Could it be not broke-in good doing it?

Anybody?

Mark 08 3240hstc
The HST will be slightly less efficient, but that difference is too large. To be sure to get a valid comparison, compare the total fuel used to do the task rather than gph. Since the predominant inefficiency of an HST is in the hyd transmission the loss would be only on rolling HP not pto, so diff should be indistiguishable barring large weight difference or F/I problems - or the new mower as you say.
larry

/ My new kubota is a dieselholic!! #3  
It's the cab. I guarantee it's the cab. My recommendation is to take a chainsaw to it, turn it back into a man's man's tractor and swat mosquitos with the rest of us :D

/ My new kubota is a dieselholic!!
Total fuel to do the task (mowing about 4 acres) was 3.8 gallons of D2 fuel in the new 3240hstc.

My average with the 3430hstc was about 2.2-2.4 gallons to do the same task. Weight of both tractors basically the same minus the 200 lbs heavier Woods RFM on the 3240.

The 3240 has the same displacement engine as the 3430 but it has 2 pto HP less. the 3240 uses 45% more fuel than the 3430. Kubota increased the tank size on the new 40 series cab tractors and I'm wondering if that was in responce to the poor fuel economy.

/ My new kubota is a dieselholic!! #5  
davitk said:
It's the cab. I guarantee it's the cab. My recommendation is to take a chainsaw to it, turn it back into a man's man's tractor and swat mosquitos with the rest of us :D
OH, is that what the HSTC stands for? Of course its the cab and accouterments thereof. Youve got parasitic HP problems sucking fuel.:D
larry

/ My new kubota is a dieselholic!! #6  
davitk said:

davitk - Favre actually needs a throw-away BMW for those "fields" now that he's with the jets...

/ My new kubota is a dieselholic!! #7  
I know the new diesel engine emission requirements has been killing the mileage on diesel pickups so I imagine they would affect the GPH on tractors to. I think the new Grand L 40's have the newer Tier 2 emission system on their engines.

/ My new kubota is a dieselholic!! #9  
Now that i have close to 100 hrs on my 3540 im seeing less fuel consumption, not an extreme reduction but enough to notice

/ My new kubota is a dieselholic!! #10  
Try it an hour without the Ac and I bet you will find out why its burning more fuel. Also the HTS is going to burn more. So between both of them. There is the extra fuel