M59 Discussion Thread

/ M59 Discussion Thread #251  
Hi TbarD

The air springs are a good idea to keep your truck level. Unfortunately they use a lot of salt on the roads in my part of the world so I have resisted the urge to install them on my trucks. I have had good luck with a product called Timbren. They are essentially a rubber spring that replaces your current bump stops. Once your factory springs deflect to a certain point, the Timbrens make contact and provide cushioning while keeping your rear end from sagging. I have used them on my last three trucks and they are simple, inexpensive, trouble free and do the job for me. They might be a good backup for you if you ever have a problem with the air suspension.

Hi Natem

The Laurin cab is very expensive - $11,500 for the L45 in my case including the optional backhoe control enclosure ($1,500) and heat only. The only reason I purchased it now is because I was able to roll it into the 2% financing Kubota has at this time in Canada so I went ahead rather than wait until fall.

I plan to add A/C later but rather then get it from Laurin who are a considerable distance from me and speak a different language, I am going to have Hammond who are only about 80 miles from me do the installtion. They specialize in A/C for constuction equipment and were recommended by a Laurin cab owner who purchased his cab before Laurin offered A/C. He is much further south then me and is very pleased with the Hammond system and I like having the supplier just an hour and a half away.

There is a 6 - 8 week delivery time for the cab so depending on how the work for the L45 comes in, I will either spend the ~$4,000 for the A/C this summer or wait until next spring and let my bank account recover. I really don't like the heat though being a Northern Ontario boy so I will probably get the A/C installed so I can enjoy July and August in air conditioned comfort. Most of the work I do is at least 50% on the hoe and after a couple of hours sitting there on a warm day with all that hot oil flowing under you and through the manifold at your knees, it can get quite warm.

Hi Anthony

If you are going to be travelling down to the Niagara area in the near future, the used M59 with the cab on it is at a Kubota dealer called Ben Berg. I forget the name of the town, but they are about 45 minutes south of the QEW between Hamilton and Saint Catherines.

Alternatively I usually wind up towing my machine up to the inlaws in North Bay to do work for them a couple of times a year so I could drag the L45 in to Doe Lake to let you drool for awhile if your are interested. :) Maybe I could sepnd the night at scenic Doe Lake - do you have cabins or do we need to bring our own accomodations?

The Laurin cab is too expensive in my opinion but I simply can't take the cold like I used to. I had a bunch of work to do around the house this past weekend and the temperature dropped dramatically Friday night and then the wind picked up. By 10:00am Saturday I called my dealer and told him to add the Laurin cab to the deal as I was not going through another winter of snow clearing in the cold. After a few hours of seat time on Saturday and Sunday I was chilled to the bone and had to take long, hot showers to recover. Maybe I can offset part of the cab purchase cost with reduced water and gas to heat it costs - what do you think? :D

You must get a lot more snow than me Anthony and with your property I would imagine you must have to clear quite a bit of it. Hopefully over time you can convince your wife that you need to get out of the cold too!

Regards,

Lauren

/ M59 Discussion Thread #253  
Hi Laurin,

It would be great to meet you and swap landscaping stories. Anytime you are by this area, drop in for a beer or coffee and I'll show you around. Our address, map, and accommodations are on our website @ RV Campground and Housekeeping Cottages at Doe Lake Ontario and we are about 1 hour south of North Bay off Hwy 11.

As far as convincing my wife about the cab...she was the one who insisted I get my L39 to replace the very aged 1961 Massey Ferguson ID35 and the Ferguson 2085 tractors that came with the resort when I purchased the business...but creature comforts might take a little more convincing:laughing:

However, should you be "passing through" and "just happen to have your tractor with cab", there may be an opportunity to identify the necessary attributes that would help keep her husband comfortable and healthy while working:D

It's worth a shot:thumbsup:

Time to go to work,seasons about to start

Best Regards,

Anthony

/ M59 Discussion Thread #255  
Hi TbarD

I have looked at Sims in the past but thanks for the link. I have heard some good but also some bad things about Sims cabs and frankly they just don't look as nice as the Laurin. The only bad thing I have heard about the Laurin cabs is the price! :( I am purchasing the L45 for the long haul and so to me with the low financing rate and a long term outlook I decided to make the investment.

Using the link you sent me when I priced out the Sims cab for the L45 with comparable accessories to what I am getting plus heat, the total is around $8,000. I could probably assemble it myself but that would take some time so allowing $1,000 for assembly I'm at $9,000 for something that doesn't look as nice and has considerably reduced glass area compared to the Laurin. For another $2,500 I have the Laurin installed and it doesn't look like I am in an armoured L45! :)

Hi Anthony

The $11,500 price includes installation of the cab, the backhoe enclosure and the high capacity heater. Some have said that the Laurin cab is assembled around the factory ROPS but I have been told by others and my dealer to that the cab comes fully assembled and gets lowered onto the L45. To me that would seem to imply that the factory ROPS would be replaced. When it arrives, I'll definitely get some photos and let you know how the install proceeds.

Thanks very much for the link to your rizzort. I'll definitely let you know if I am going through the area and take you up on that cold one.

All the best with your seasonal prepartions - May 24 is not that far away!

Regards,

Lauren

/ M59 Discussion Thread #256  
Hi Lauren, I'm interested in a Laurin cab as well...

I'll admit that there are winter days when a cab would be nice, but they are more than offset by the enjoyment of the open station during warmer months. The big advantage to the cab for me would be to get away from the exhaust and the noise. The weather is fine... I wonder if anyone makes a sort of half windshield...

/ M59 Discussion Thread #257  
Hi rScotty

I too hate the low positioned exhaust that Kubota seems to have standardized on for all of their smaller tractors and the TLB line. All of the large Kubota farm tractors that I have seen have a stack to get the fumes up and away from the operator.

You may want to look as some posts done by "4shorts" on TBN. He has a Kubota 5740 I believe and he is a very ingenious and talented man with steel. He rerouted the low exhaust on his tractor through a support box he made and attached to the tractor frame and up a stack exiting at cab roof height. I had done something similar to this on my B21 to get the fumes away from me and it was quite effective. I never got around to doing anything on the B26 but I certainly intend to use "4shorts" approach to address the issue on the L45. I'm going to hold off until the Laurin cab is installed because I do not want to make any mods to the tractor until the cab is in place.

With respect to noise, I have been told that sometimes a cab can actually amplify tractor noises as they get "trappped" in the enclosed cab. This is apparently expecially true with aftermarket cabs but I will see. I am not concerned about this because I always wear ear protection when on the tractor and probably still will inside the cab as my current ones have the radio and iPod jack in them.

Regards,

Lauren

/ M59 Discussion Thread #258  
I'll admit that there are winter days when a cab would be nice, but they are more than offset by the enjoyment of the open station during warmer months. The big advantage to the cab for me would be to get away from the exhaust and the noise. The weather is fine... I wonder if anyone makes a sort of half windshield...

I feel the same way (of course neither of us winters in Ontario!). I wouldn't want a cab in the warmer months, and even in the winter, a cold clear day after a storm is so beautiful in Colorado that I wouldn't want to compromise the view if I could help it. Some plexiglas on the front of the ROPS might be enough to keep snow from blowing back when snow blowing. One can get electrically heated vests and gloves made for motorcycle use which could help a lot in colder weather.

/ M59 Discussion Thread #259  
This is to followup on our earlier discussion of towing the M59. We completed our first trip with the M59 several days ago, towing it from southern NM up to SW Colorado, about 700 miles over a number of passes (the smallest ones we could find!).

It went fine and the truck performed superbly. On the steepest grades (e.g. Cochetopa pass, 10149 ft) on the main roads we were pulling at about 40mph, 2K rpm, in 2nd gear on the automatic transmission on the truck. On lesser grades (Raton pass), it was 50 mph in 3rd gear. The steepest grades were closer to our property on smaller roads, where we got down to 30mph or so. I did not find a scale to weigh the trailer, but with the M59, an 84" grading scraper and forks the loaded trailer was probably about 13.8K. The picture below shows the rig upon arrival at our place in Colorado (where it is currently exceptionally dry by the way). The tractor looks enormous loaded on a trailer behind the truck! The truck roof is 7' high for scale.

Some lessons learned:
o At 22' the trailer was barely long enough for the M59 with a couple of attachments. Balancing the load was not a problem, but the backhoe barely fit on the trailer as you can see in the picture.
o Check the trailer brakes! This was a new trailer. In my first test, unloaded, I found that it had almost no brakes. It was necessary to jack the trailer up and adjust each brake. One of the wheels had a nonfunctioning brake due to a wiring problem. After the adjustments it was fine.
o An exhaust brake on the truck is essential, for ordinary driving but especially when descending steep grades.
o Gauges on the truck are essential. EGT is the main one. As soon as it climbs above 12.5K or so I shift to a lower gear and up the RPMs. I also monitored the AT temperature and rear differential temperature, and turbo boost. I installed an aftermarket deep cover on the AT and the temp never got above 190 and was usually much cooler. The rear diff (also with an aftermarket deep cover) did get up to 225 on the steepest pulls, which is a bit high but not bad, considering.
o I used a Sherline scale to adjust the hitch weight to 1400 or so; would have been difficult to get this right otherwise. A weight distributing hitch is obviously essential for a bumper hitch towing this weight.​

I also had one of my tractor cameras mounted on the ROPS at the rear, which made it easy to monitor the back of the trailer and the hoe, and check for clearance when passing. [edit: also reprogrammed the truck ECM with a Smarty Jr., which was essential to keep the EGTs down.]

My feeling having completed this tow is that towing the M59, even in the mountains is no problem so long as one can monitor the truck and adjust speed and gearing where necessary. Avoid sharp turns - it will practically scrape the tires off a dual axle trailer. The biggest risk is probably braking, one has to keep an eagle eye ahead.

Attachments

• M59-ArrivalColorado.jpg
    M59-ArrivalColorado.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 496
   / M59 Discussion Thread #260  
good to hear of your sucesful haul up to Colorado. i almost wish i had more terrain to give me a callenge.