M59 Discussion Thread

/ M59 Discussion Thread #1  

Charlesaf3

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030, Kubota M59 TLB
Hey,

I thought I'd try to start one thread where those of us who own an M59 can discuss what we like and don't like about the tractor, how we use it, how we've modified it, etc. (and those who are thinking of one can learn). This is inspired by some of the really great threads on here, like the box blade thread & etc.

It'd be also good to talk about how specific attachments work with the M59 (as opposed to how they work in general)

And for me, I'm scared of the backhoe removal and re-attachment process, and would appreciate all advice! Though I'm still going to make sure I'm done with all conceivable backhoe work before it comes off.

/ M59 Discussion Thread
To start it off, I got the ATI Preseeder SS 725 (used) to use on the M59 (ie ATI version of a harley rake). Its a regular flow skidsteer attachment, which requires that the hydraulic flow be constant, so it seems like a good test of the M59s ability to run skidsteer stuff (non high flow).

Since it was a skidsteer model, only one hydraulic input is used, to run the rotating cylinder. Power angle is hydraulics on the attachment, run off the m59 battery. Messicks rigged up a battery hookup, and a control toggle on the dash to adjust the angle.

THey also set up a system, on my request, so that forward hydraulics can be controlled by either the push button on the joystick, or by a toggle on the side panel. The toggle avoids the "having to keep the button held down" issue.

I've never used a skidsteer harley rake, but I've no complaints on how this works on the m59. I get plenty of spin and power on the rake, though the speed correlates directly with rpm and I end up running at 2700

So I'm generally pretty happy with constant flow hydraulic skidsteer attachments on the front. This is great, as I find them much more available for rent than 3 pt stuff.

/ M59 Discussion Thread #3  
The 59 is used exclusively in the back country of a remote Arizona desert mountain ranch.

Summarizing earlier posts, the 59 is set up as a loader/backhoe without attachments. I am considering a Landpride rear hydraulic blade but not sure how robust this set up would be grading very rocky washed out backroads. Any input would be appreciated.

I believe the tractor is a significant improvement over the 39. More powerful, larger, wider and good compromise between a compact and full size backhoe. In my use (tight canyons, etc) it works better than a full size.

I'm still getting used to HST but generally feel it gives the operator more time to concentrate on work, tractor position and as they say, situational awareness. Its gear range is a little narrow in "M".

I think a top of the line tractor this expensive must come with a 3 Point and PTO hydraualic controls as standard equipment. The add-on option list was laughable. I mean, charging for work lights?

When they delivered the tractor we tried to dismount the backhoe (..it's easy..) but one pin wouldn't come out. After over an hour of work, we got it out and found paint in the sleeve. Another half hour of work. I am still very uneasy about getting it on and off.

And, replacing fluids and filters at only 50 hours!

Last edited:
   / M59 Discussion Thread
rear blade wise, I got the Woods ?HBL? 96 - ie the heavy duy 8. No hydraulics, instead I got the top and tilt from kubota, so that'll provide the angle. I think top n tilt is generally a great step forward for dirt work.

I agree that some of the "extras" on the M59 are annoying - 3 Pt, worklights etc. I had messicks put on 2 extra worklights on the FOPS, for 6 total, and I've found that nice. I also had them put in 2 cigarette lighter plugs in the dash, which I use for a plug in light from Northern Tool with a magentic base. So light-wise I'm pretty ggod.

Haven't tried the back hoe dismount yet, but Messicks did and said it was fine - thanks to a post on here I was concerned about it. Information like that in advance is a great thing about this place.

I did lose the quick coupler pin out of my 12" bucket while digging oak stumps. Still haven't had it replaced - oddly enough kubota can't find the part number. New tractor teething troubles I think.

I love HST, but was coming from that perspective. Haven't found the M range with the 2 levels to be narrow - is it too slow at the top?

/ M59 Discussion Thread
oh, a warning on auto-throttle. Bucket off, backhoe on, pressed the throttle going up a hill and the front wheels went in the air. People should be aware that auto throttle can get a light front end into difficulties.

I have found the m59 to be enormously stable on hillsides, even with a big bucket full of gravel it could barely lift. I do have the wheels foamed front and back, which adds 1500-2000 pounds down low, and saves me from flat repairs

/ M59 Discussion Thread #6  
The 12v accessories plugs. Good idea, I'll do it. Because of the serious illegal immigration problem we have in our back country, I am going to have installed a hidden starter disconnect switch as an added level of theft security.

More stable platform than the 39.

My discomfort with the HST is probably because it's new to me. Yes it seems slow at the top? But overall, I like it better than the GST.

/ M59 Discussion Thread
The hidden disconnect is a good idea. Also leaving the PTO on maybe? Someone had mentioned that as an effective built in disconnect. But a hidden one is better thinking about it.

I don't have any problem with the top end of M, but I don't have much of a straight line to run it in.... I live in L a lot.

I'm finding the operators platform nice and open. Maybe just a comparison to the 3030, but its roomy to get in and out of.

On the other hand, the FOPs traps the engine noise nicely - its loud under there. I wear headphones.

Diesel also creeps under, and it does seem to stay pretty warm from the hydraulics.

I love the raw strength - big trees tremble when I shove them. And I can rip out trees with the 4n1 that I'd take a half hour to dig out, at least, with my old woods 80.

Thumb is very nice as well, though I wish it was a bit "firmer" coming from a fixed thumb - I'm told that's normal for hydro thumbs to protect the cylinder

Don't get me wrong, I have critiques, but I love it and would buy it again in a heart beat.

/ M59 Discussion Thread #8  
Charlesaf3 said:
Hey,

I thought I'd try to start one thread where those of us who own an M59 can discuss what we like and don't like about the tractor, how we use it, how we've modified it, etc. (and those who are thinking of one can learn). This is inspired by some of the really great threads on here, like the box blade thread & etc.

It'd be also good to talk about how specific attachments work with the M59 (as opposed to how they work in general)

And for me, I'm scared of the backhoe removal and re-attachment process, and would appreciate all advice! Though I'm still going to make sure I'm done with all conceivable backhoe work before it comes off.

For those familiar with my earlier post on my backhoe removal difficulties, after recieving it back from the dealer I have had no promlems at all. I just took it off to do some boxblading, the pins came out pretty quick. When I put it back on it went even quicker. Very pleased with the process.

/ M59 Discussion Thread #10  
Charlesaf3 said:
How fast is quick? And any advice?

Maby 15 minute to take off. 10 to put it back on. I have done it twice now and the first time did take longer, maby 25 minutes or more to take off, the reinstall is much quicker than my 3830 or Bx 24. I just had bad luck with one of the pins like the previous poster, but mine would just not budge. and I worked dilligently for several hours.