HST + auto hds question.

/ HST + auto hds question. #1  

lawn_king

Veteran Member
Tractor
kubota L 3540 hsdc,B 2320 hsdc & lots of other stuff!
Im thinking that my auto hds is not working? Today i was aerating, pulling a 6 ' woods core aerator with weight tray loaded, total weight 1200 lbs. When i was pulling some small hills my rpm's dropped off to a point that i expected the tractor to downshift, it however stayed in mid range high? I guess my question is do the rpm's have to fall almost to the point of stalling for the machine to downshift?

/ HST + auto hds question. #2  
Yes I've found that my 3240 really has to bog down to down shift. Mainly bucket work.

How high did you have the rpm's set while you were working?

/ HST + auto hds question.
I was running @ 1800-2000 rpm, i was waiting to see if the machine was going to really bogg down to stalling before shifting. I had the stall gaurd on as you cant engage auto hds without stall gaurd.

/ HST + auto hds question. #4  
Looks like our machines are the same other than the few hp difference. Mine is the hst with the 724 loader as well. I have 11.5 hrs now and enjoying every minute of it!

:D

/ HST + auto hds question. #5  
My L3240HST does this with my RFM when I get to the steepest part of my hill. I just manually/lever drop it to the low low. I kept waiting for it to drop down itself and it eventually will but way to slow for my taste. I also run in low range when taxing the tractor. Flat level mowing I may do in middle range. Any tractor will bog if you don't use the proper range for the job like pulling out in second or third gear in a car. Or trying to pull a steep hill in a loaded truck in the highest gear. Try it in low gear at the recommended 2675RPM and see if it meets your expectations. If your question was specifically does other HST Pluses rpm's drop way down before it automatically drops to the lower range, yes, mine does.

/ HST + auto hds question. #6  
It will also gear down if you are pulling something and suddenly move the hst pedal to the floor until it speeds up a bit.
I belive it is just like a log splitter two stage pump. when the pressure exceeds a certail amount it shifts to the lower pump gear.

I have 80 hours on mine now and I found that it has more power now than it did at about the 50 hour mark. I also notice that when working it below 2200 rpm it will bog down far more than normal.

Run it around 2200 and you will be suprised how much grunt the little thing has. Running it around 1800 doesnt give it much time to react to the load and once it does it is about 1500 rpm where the hp starts to fall off.
JMHO

/ HST + auto hds question.
I have to core aerate a 15 acre site friday. Last fall i stalled my B3030 pulling the same 1200 # aerator, i had to manually downshift to low range to pull these hills. Lets see if my auto HDS shifts my 3540 before i get too impatient and downshift manually.