BX24 leaking hydraulic fluid from rear cover

/ BX24 leaking hydraulic fluid from rear cover #1  

Just2quickz28

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 24
So when the drive shaft on my chipper broke near the PTO output shaft it did a little bit more damage than I first thought. The rear cover is leaking hydraulic fluid from the silicone seal. From what I can tel it just got smacked by the broken shaft spinning around and that moved the cover enough to break the seal.

Well yesterday I jacked up the rear of the tractor so it was on a slight angle so I wouldn't loose all the hydraulic fluid and removed the rear case cover and let the fluid drain into a big catch pain. I cleaned both the rear cover and the back of the case to remove the old silicone seal. I had put a paper towel in the opening of the case to keep anything from getting into the remainder of hydraulic fluid. I replaced the silicone and put the tractor back together and let the silicone set up.

I am thinking I should put in a bit of fluid and make sure the seal is good and that everything works properly then drain the remainder of the hydraulic fluid and replace it and the filter. Is this step necessary? Is the remaining fluid still good? Or is it relatively cheap insurance to just swap it out with the filter in case anything fell in?

Here is the diagram from the parts pdf number c420

Attachments

• bx24RearCover.JPG
    bx24RearCover.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 935
  • P8070412.JPG
    P8070412.JPG
    872.3 KB · Views: 840
   / BX24 leaking hydraulic fluid from rear cover #2  
Its cracked,.. cause I believe that cover is centered using 2 dowel pins. So there is no way for it to move other than with extreme breaking force.

/ BX24 leaking hydraulic fluid from rear cover #3  
Its cracked,.. cause I believe that cover is centered using 2 dowel pins. So there is no way for it to move other than with extreme breaking force.

That would be my thought also. When you took the cover off did you hold it up to the light or fill it with water to check?:(

/ BX24 leaking hydraulic fluid from rear cover
That would be my thought also. When you took the cover off did you hold it up to the light or fill it with water to check?:(

Yes I checked it for cracks, when it was leaking it was just seaping out from the silicone filled seam. It is held up by 2 pins but there is still enough give for it to move slightly as the holes for the bolts that are in the cover are bigger than the bolts themselves. I put it back together and put just enough UDT in to have it show up on the dip stick. It does not seem to be leaking any more. And if I do need to replace the rear cover good thing its only about 55$

/ BX24 leaking hydraulic fluid from rear cover #5  
Dumb question of the week ... Does anyone know if that "cover" will fix the BX22? That dipstick is far easier to get at than the the 22 set up. 55 bucks is cheap compared to busting your knuckles every time you get the tractor out.
I actually have been asking around locally about a sight glass set up but that cover would work sweet.

/ BX24 leaking hydraulic fluid from rear cover #6  
Does anyone have a part number for kubota bx 2350 hydro fluid dipstick. Ineed to order a replacement

/ BX24 leaking hydraulic fluid from rear cover #7  
K2581-11250

/ BX24 leaking hydraulic fluid from rear cover #8  
I see no reason to change the fluid and filter. Maybe had to been doing that work in a saw mill or some other dusty environment.....but that garage, no need.