BX2660 and Skid Plates...Good Idea?

/ BX2660 and Skid Plates...Good Idea? #1  

Frosstoise

Tractor
Kubota BX2660
Hi All, I'm new to the site, and have just purchased a new BX2660 (being delivered next week, they're hard to find in Canada, so had to be shipped to Nova Scotia from Quebec.)

I've been reading up on the likes/dislikes of the BX series, and one thing that comes up somewhat often is that they don't have a skid plate, and the HST fan in particular is in a position that makes it prone to damage. My question is, are after market skid plates a good idea for these little tractors? And, if so, where could someone in Canada find such a thing? Do they adversely effect the operation/mounting of the MMM?

Thanks!

/ BX2660 and Skid Plates...Good Idea? #2  
Yes, a rear skid-plate is definitely a good idea. Many BX owners have one, and some who didn't have one when their fan got broken, have one now. The fan (while a cheap component) is a costly repair.

The most commonly mentioned skidplate is by Bro-Tek (also of Canada). Richard, who runs it also makes a front skidplate. You'd better check they are good for the BX2660 - if not I'm sure it won't be long before Richard offers an adaptation.

You can find a picture of the rear plate, and of some home-made solutions by TractorByNet members here.

/ BX2660 and Skid Plates...Good Idea?
Well, so long as the Bro-Tek plates fit, I think I'm going to get one (I'm bush hogging quite a lot, and I'm awfully paranoid about poking my fan, and more importantly, my hydro fluid filter!)

Another question regarding plates on the BX's; does anyone have any experience with them causing the hydro system to overheat? I'm looking at how things are organized under there, and it seems the only real intake for the fan is from the front. If I put a skid plate on there, it looks like it will greatly decrease the airflow to the fan.

Acutally, this brings up another question; how can one tell if their hydro system is overheating? I assume that the temp gauge is for enging temp., are there any idiot lights/indicators for hydro overheat?

Frosstoise

/ BX2660 and Skid Plates...Good Idea? #4  
I made a skid plate for my B7500 and I am very glad that I did. The thing takes a lot of hits that would surely have caused me a problem by now. I do a lot of work in wooded areas.

/ BX2660 and Skid Plates...Good Idea? #5  
I got the skid plates from Brotek for my BX23. Best investment I made. I do some brush cutting with a 48" Howse, and judging by the dents in the plate, I would have probably disabled my machine without them. ;)

/ BX2660 and Skid Plates...Good Idea? #6  
I checked with Bro-tek on the 20th and am waiting their reply; they told me they would soon have a confirmation that the skid plate will fit on my new BX2660.

/ BX2660 and Skid Plates...Good Idea? #7  
I checked the Bro-Tek instructions today and the BX2660 is now listed.