Need Advice on Using Tooth Bar

/ Need Advice on Using Tooth Bar #1  

Dr. Bob

Silver Member
Sergentsville, NJ (Western NJ, the good part!)
Tractor
2003 B7800
I finally got my tooth bar from Markham and have installed it.
Now I need to use it.
I have played around with it a little, but I would like ANY ADVICE you have on how best to use it.
My task is to remove 10" of hard packed dirt from two horse pens. The pens are about 100' x 50'. So, there will be a significant amount of dirt removed. I will then replace the dirt with 6" of stone and 4" of stone dust. After that there will be NO MUD in the late fall, winter and spring.
I look forward to the wisdom of my Kubota buddies!

/ Need Advice on Using Tooth Bar #2  
Just like using your regular bucket. Point the teeth down slightly and curl the bucket and you'll pop the top layer loose. Practice makes almost perfect. With a little trial and error you'll be a pro in no time... Good luck.

/ Need Advice on Using Tooth Bar #3  
Yep, when working with hard material, it always seemed to work best for me if I was curling the bucket ever so slightly as I moved forward.

/ Need Advice on Using Tooth Bar #4  
I had a BX2200 with tooth bar and I mostly used it going in reverse. Would drop and curl bucket back and sometimes drive backwards with it angled fairly steep toward the back. I would bust it up this way then scoop it up frontward. Read some where that going backward isn't good but that seemed to work better for me.

/ Need Advice on Using Tooth Bar #5  
Hi Dr Bob,

I have horse corals similar in size to what you have and have done the same job with mine. Rather than using the toothbar,I found it was more successful using using a box blade with the scarifiers in the down position. If it's really hard stuff, I'd only leave one or two scarifiers down. This should break the hard packed material up nicely, then put the bucket to use.

If you don't have a boxblade yet, you might consider getting one cuz you'll prolly need it to level off the stone and stone dust that's going in.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

GN

/ Need Advice on Using Tooth Bar #6  
Do you do damage operating in reverse, I want to use mine to tear up turf and then scrape off in prep for some seed, is it better to have more or less teeth?

/ Need Advice on Using Tooth Bar
If I am just overseeding, I use a chain harrow with the "teeth" set in the most aggressive position and go over the area several times, remove the thatch and then put the seed down right before a rain. That has worked resonably well for me.

For pasture renovation, I rented a tiller and tilled the entire area, seeded and then covered the see using the chain harrow.