Another operating question (Clutch)

/ Another operating question (Clutch) #1  

Charlton John

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
Hi, Another newbie question here for you guys. on my B2620 I have a clutch. The dealer (salesperson) advised no need to disengage the clutch when changing from Hi, Low Med. The manual says I should. Any comments.

/ Another operating question (Clutch) #2  
I'm a Newbie also, but, yes - use the clutch when changing ranges - it can only be easier on the machine and translate into longer tranny life.
My opinion.
Have fun, be safe.

'FRank

/ Another operating question (Clutch) #3  
I always do it on my 7800. I figure it is better than not using the clutch and it's not a big deal to do it. Better safe than sorry. I always follow the manual.

/ Another operating question (Clutch)
Thanks Guys, Yes I have been doing it also as the manual states too just wanted to see the census out there. How about disengaging when going from 2wd to 4wd, I have to re-check the manual but I beleive it says to place in Neutral (which would require you to disengage the clutch) and then place in 4wd w/ the clutch still disengaged, then choose range let off clutch and off you go???

/ Another operating question (Clutch) #5  
These HST machines?

If so clutch isnt going to do anything for gear range changes.

/ Another operating question (Clutch) #7  
The clutch is a PTO clutch. It's to be used when engaging or disengaging the PTO. Since I've always been stopped whenever I change ranges, I don't notice any difference between using the clutch or not, so I would tend to believe that it's not necessary for shifting between ranges. If this were a gear transmission, then that would be another story. Then, obviously, it would be required.

I know what you mean about confusing instructions in the manual. There are a number of lines throughout the manual that seem to contradict themselves. I think there's portions that are simply "cut and pasted" from one model's manual to another.

/ Another operating question (Clutch)
The clutch is a PTO clutch. It's to be used when engaging or disengaging the PTO. Since I've always been stopped whenever I change ranges, I don't notice any difference between using the clutch or not, so I would tend to believe that it's not necessary for shifting between ranges. If this were a gear transmission, then that would be another story. Then, obviously, it would be required.

I know what you mean about confusing instructions in the manual. There are a number of lines throughout the manual that seem to contradict themselves. I think there's portions that are simply "cut and pasted" from one model's manual to another.

Totally agree. The manual says to disengage the clutch when changing ranges, engaging the 4wd and when even starting the tractor. So you dont feel this is necessary unless using a PTO implement.

/ Another operating question (Clutch) #9  
I just know that any dealership I went to when tractor shopping all told me the same thing.....the clutch is a PTO clutch. I never saw any salesman use the clutch when starting, changing ranges, or engaging 4wd, when I was trying out the tractors. However, if you try to engage the PTO without pushing in the clutch, you'll get LOTS of grinding :eek::eek:

I still sometimes find myself pushing in the clutch when shifting ranges or engaging 4wd, but that's just a case of "old habits die hard"......plus, it gives my left foot something to do!!! :D

/ Another operating question (Clutch) #10  
Correct PTO clutch only. My manual on my l3400 is very contradictive because it was derived from the manual tranmission version.