HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ?

/ HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #41  
I use brakes in combination with the HST pedal a lot on hills and especially when mowing my pond dams. I back my RC down the dam and then drive forward. With my foot off the HST pedal, the tractor readily rolls backwards down the dam toward the water. I could feather the forward HST pedal, but it is soooo much easier to just put my foot on the brake and keep precise control of the tractor at all times.

Attachments

• MowPondDam.jpg
    MowPondDam.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 109
   / HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #42  
When mowing our pond levies with the M8540, I use the brakes to ease the cutter down to the water's edge too, but my L5030 won't roll backwards or forwards with the HST engaged, so I use the forward reverse pedal to seesaw on some of the shorter sections.

/ HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #43  
It is easier to use the brakes and HST if they are on opposite sides. One foot for HST, the other for brakes. I have a flat deck too; it is just so much easier. FWIW I do not have a clutch either...

It's not easier, it's persona preference. I find when grading the driveway I can swivel the seat to see over my right shoulder which now puts both feet on the HST side. I often use the brake in conjunction with the HST pedal while going up the hill to keep the tractor on the edge of (without going into) the ditch.

Like I said, in my opinion, if facing forward which ever side the pedals are on really makes no difference with a flat deck unless you have a physical limitation.

/ HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #44  
I guess I would clarify, it is much easier on this NH than my 1985 Kubota, deck and transmission shape regardless :D I know there have been some major changes since that good old B8200 was made, and some probably made it easier across the Kubota model line.

It's not easier, it's persona preference. I find when grading the driveway I can swivel the seat to see over my right shoulder which now puts both feet on the HST side. I often use the brake in conjunction with the HST pedal while going up the hill to keep the tractor on the edge of (without going into) the ditch.

Like I said, in my opinion, if facing forward which ever side the pedals are on really makes no difference with a flat deck unless you have a physical limitation.

/ HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #45  
Solution: Buy a John Deere with left side turning brakes.;)

Just Kidding. I have owned a kubota and they are nice machines.

John

I thought that the left side brakes on the JD were a good idea for HST machines also.