HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ?

/ HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #1  

rdpowell

I think the Kubota L5740 is the tractor for me with all of it's many features. This tractor would be used on a farm; loader, forks, snow blower.

This morning I was mentally going through how I would operate the tractor with the HST transmission. When using the bucket or forks, and working down-hill, I need my foot on the brakes to hold the tractor in postion. The only method of going in reverse on the HST is to step on the hst pedal. Correct? So when I take my foot off the brakes, I risk moving forward and hitting the truck, trailer, or starting to go over a bank.

I thought about reaching over with my left foot and try to operate the HST pedal, but that seems it would be ackward and not sure if it provides a reliable pedal control. Then I though about shifting my body to the right, using the left foot on the brakes, and then use the old reliable right foot on the HST pedal.

Am I missing something here ? How do you operate HST in this down-hill to reverse setting ?

I realize working up-hill would easier on the operator, but on the farm this is not always an option.

bob

Last edited:
   / HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #2  
Don't know how your L works but my B2920 with HST stops as soon as your foot is off the pedal. May I suggest maybe using the parking brake? Or you could even use reverse HST pedal application to hold the L in place.

/ HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #3  
I have a similar situation when using brakes to steer - I just use left foot and concentrate. For your situation, I like the idea of setting the parking brake then lightly pressing the HST petal then releasing parking brake (probably with left foot).
Mike

/ HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #4  
The only time I recall using the brakes on my L4330 is when the engine cuts out (for safety reasons) and I am on a slope. As ericher noted the tractor is controlled with the hst pedal. A lot of my work is on a slope.

Zeuspaul

/ HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #5  
Unless you are on a rather extreme grade, the HST will hold the tractor in place with "zero peddle". It's one of the beauties of HST for me. I almost never use the brake. Another advantage of this, when in 4 wd, is that you have engine/transmission braking on all 4 wheels. Much safer on grades, particularly in cases where you may have a load on back like a trailer.

- Jay

/ HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ?
I did not think the HST would hold that well, on a slope, and off the pedal. Good to know.
thanks, bob

/ HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #7  
HST on all my tractors hold it. Let off and it stops going down or up. I may be doing a slight reverse pressure without thinking about it but I don't know when I've used the brake. I've got an L and BX now and had BX and B before. I also do steep lot work. May have stepped on brake going down hill by instinct but never when doing loader work.

/ HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #8  
There is a valve incorporated into the fwd/rev circuit that blocks flow, until a pressure differential occurs. The same principle is in the RTV's and why they can park on a steep incline and not roll,.. maybe 1in over 2-3min.

/ HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #9  
There is a valve incorporated into the fwd/rev circuit that blocks flow, until a pressure differential occurs. The same principle is in the RTV's and why they can park on a steep incline and not roll,.. maybe 1in over 2-3min.
My BX1500 sure rolls. Put it on 10% w neutral pedal and itll do about 5 feet per minute. No change since new.
larry

/ HST: how do you reverse with your foot on the brakes ? #10  
My BX1500 sure rolls. Put it on 10% w neutral pedal and itll do about 5 feet per minute. No change since new.
larry

Larry: Do you have it in front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? I had a BX2200, B7800 and BX1500 and non of them did that when in front wheel drive. Traded the BX1500 for the BX2350. I kept them in front wheel drive and rarely ever engaged the locking pedal and my yard is steep.