L35 Front Axle Seals

/ L35 Front Axle Seals #1  

cheekme

Tractor
L35
Has anybody replaced the front portal axle seals on an L35? I don't have a manual but I was curious if any special tools are needed to do the seal replacement. Both right and left seals are leaking.

/ L35 Front Axle Seals #2  
Has anybody replaced the front portal axle seals on an L35? I don't have a manual but I was curious if any special tools are needed to do the seal replacement. Both right and left seals are leaking.
If I'm not mistaken, the L35 axle is similar or the same as the Grand L axle. There's a string of six posts starting here that show the parts and how to do it. It's not a bad job - the only "special tool" needed is a good pair of snap ring pliers.

/ L35 Front Axle Seals #4  
I did mine when I owned my L-35 about 8 years ago. It was a PITA. For some reason, it took my dealer about 2 weeks to get the seals.
I have found that Ronnie Bowman at TractorSmart is real fast to send a .pdf parts list. Then I order online and the parts are at my door in a week or so.

/ L35 Front Axle Seals
Thanks rbargeron for the detailed info. My L35 might not be exactly like the 3600 but it sure looks like it from the outside. Bummer to see ball bearings though. Would much prefer tapered rollers. I'll try TractorSmart for parts and do the work this winter. These seals have been the only problem I've had with my L35 which I bought used with 777 hrs and I've put another 600 on it since.

/ L35 Front Axle Seals
I replaced the upper seals this winter and rbargeron had it nailed when he said you need good snap ring pliers. The upper snap ring is hard to engage with the tool since you are working blind reaching up from the bottom. I used a mirror but could have used another hand. I bought a snap ring tool for both internal and external rings (you have one of each) with locking feature and changable points (expensive but absolutely necessary).

One tip I would add is that the bottom plug can be installed with a piece of what I believe was 2" pipe. It makes a perfect driving tool. You probably could use a rubber hammer but the pipe works great. Got replacement parts from TractorSmart. Good people and fast service.